Womens Studio Designer
Working within the framework of the line plan, seasonal inspiration themes and the prAna development calendar, the Women’s Studio Designer is responsible for the conceptual design and creative execution of various women’s Studio apparel that meets the needs of the customer while moving the brand forward. The Women’s Studio Designer is responsible for the aesthetic execution of the product and collaborates with the other designers within the design team and collaborates with cross functional teams to ensure product quality, fit and cost targets are met. The Women’s Studio Designer collaborates with Merchandising, Product Development, Production and our external vendor base/suppliers throughout the development phase. He/she fosters a culture of collaboration, creativity, innovation and solution-minded thinking that enables prAna to consistently meet customers’ expectations and company goals.
HOW YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Research seasonal trends in activity, silhouette, color, fabric, and trim.
- Develop a deep understanding of prAna’s target consumer and her product wants and needs specific to yoga and other related activities.
- Work with the Lead Women’s Designer, Design Director, design members, and Merchandiser to select and identify fabrics and trims for development, collaborate with Materials and Product Development to source.
- Establish strong working relationship with Women’s design team members, merchandising & product development team to achieve margin goals, cost targets through use of appropriate style details, fabrications and construction.
- Provide input to Textile Print & Graphic Designer in the development of all over and placement prints.
- Create highly technical detail sketches for unique product attributes for design presentations and connect key features and benefits to consumer needs.
- Prepare all inspiration and trend boards, thumbnail concept sketches, technical line drawings and updates to CADs/line drawings throughout development season.
- Prepare and complete with accuracy merchandised linesheets, initial techpacks: technical line drawings, technical detail drawings, Bill of materials, trim and label packages, seam construction and preliminary fit dimensions.
- Participate proactively in fittings and partner with the Technical Design team to achieve consistent brand fits that meet customer expectations and return rate objectives.
- Create, manipulate, and recolor in-house textile designs/graphics/ prints and embroidery when needed.
- Prepare color ups for each style working within established color palette for selection and approval.
- Partner with product development team to manage style development from initial techpack through pre-production fit approval.
- Proactively support prAna product team in the creation of presentation and visual tools for sales meetings, seasonal kick-off meetings, pre-lines or in house dealer presentations.
- Attend relevant trade shows, travel to vendors, suppliers and key accounts as requested.
- Mentor and/or provide guidance to team members.
- Meet all design and product development calendar deadlines.
- Creative with a passion for designing apparel with the end-consumer in mind – to meet and solve their needs given their lifestyle and adventures.
- An outdoor, active, climbing or other customer driven enthusiast.
- Able to work autonomously and cross-functionally with ease.
- 5 years of combined design experience in Women’s Sportswear, Active, or Outdoor apparel industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in fashion design is a plus.
- Portfolio required.
- Pre-employment design project required.
- Strong command of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, In Design
- Personal experience and understanding of the feel and fit of outdoor / active wear apparel.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and PLM systems.
- Excellent hand sketching, rendering and illustrative skills.
- Comprehensive understanding of woven and knit garment and fabric construction, synthetic, natural, performance and sustainable fibers.
- Knowledge of printing, dyeing and finishing techniques.
- Strong creative and conceptual skills.
- Excellent color sense: Munsell color test results helpful.
Salary Range: $63,400 – $105,900 Annual
We create versatile, stylish, and sustainable clothing and accessories that you can wear during every activity, every adventure, every day. How do we know? Because we base our designs on our own experiences. You see we’re more than makers, we’re doers—yogis, climbers, and world travelers—and we use our knowledge to make adventurous, free-spirited clothes that look good and play hard.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
At Columbia Sportswear Company (CSC), we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. CSC believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.