The Athletic, now proudly part of The New York Times Company, is seeking a strategic, dynamic, hands-on HR Business Partner and people leader to help continue building a world-class, human-first organization for all employees. In this position, the VP of People will help develop and drive Human Resources strategy across the division, lead diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, and serve as a key member of the leadership team. This position will be responsible for managing the division’s People team and overseeing the functional HR areas of expertise: talent acquisition, diversity, equity & inclusion, total rewards, compliance, learning & development, employee lifecycle, culture, and more.
The ideal candidate is eager to work in a fast-paced environment, drive organizational optimization, and possesses and prioritizes efficiency. In this position, you will partner with staff across the organization to help drive the business, build meaningful relationships, and act as a trusted advisor to the executive team to ensure all voices are heard. You are excited to identify, iterate and execute across the strategies and programs necessary to run a top notch operation.
This role reports to the Chief Legal Officer & General Counsel and will be based in the US. Remote work opportunities are available.
- Lead, develop and grow the People team responsible for the operations across all primary HR functions at The Athletic, a subsidiary of The New York Times Company
- Be a role model, lead by example, and hold business leaders to the same standard.
- Foster and develop meaningful relationships across the organization to ensure the implementation of strategies, programs, and policies for all.
- Manage a team overseeing compliance and HR systems.
- Key stakeholder in overseeing Total Rewards administration for the division and the development of Total Rewards strategy.
- Serve as the senior advisor on all matters of employment compliance, risk mitigation, employee relations, and global HR affairs
- Develop plans with leaders to attract, develop, retain, exit and integrate employees to support the overall business strategy.
- Assess internal and external employees and candidates based on short term and long-term business objectives, identify gaps and work with leaders on plans to address.
- Promote a culture of regular feedback in line with the company’s mission and values.
- Partner with recruiting and business leaders to address short term and long-term Performance Management and development needs.
- Oversee all Learning & Development initiatives, including leadership training, compliance training, and development programs.
- Support change management by providing effective planning, communication and reinforcement techniques to ensure successful execution of change efforts.
- Work with leaders to ensure org design is aligned with business objectives.
- Lead change with nuance and empathy.
- Build, drive and execute plans for organizational change initiatives including detailed org design, communication plans, resourcing plans, etc.
Strategic Workforce Planning:
- Collaborate with leaders to identify areas to enhance business performance through strategy, structure, process, people and rewards.
- Partner with Finance to effectively manage compensation budgets and staffing plans; responsibility to manage and oversee temporary staffing budgeting.
Coaching and Consulting:
- Be a strategic business advisor to the executive team and trusted partner to key stakeholders.
- Provide proactive advice to leaders; use inquiry to problem solve and surface underlying issues in order to achieve business outcomes.
- Serve as a coach for leaders as they lead their organizations.
- Strengthen the culture unique to The Athletic’s global business, fostering strong employee engagement in a remote-first environment.
- Partner with leaders on supporting or improving employee engagement, identifying factors that drive performance, commitment and intent to stay.
- Bring research-backed and creative thinking to create a thriving employee experience that is rooted in an equitable and inclusive culture.
- Champion company vision, values, and behaviors with business leaders.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Partner with leaders and stakeholders on developing, executing and supporting DEI initiatives, including assessing and revising Talent Acquisition strategies.
- Execute DEI strategy, goals, and metrics to foster an inclusive culture where everyone can do the best work of their careers.
- Seasoned HR Business Partner with 10+ years progressive HR leadership experience who has successfully managed high performing People teams within growing organizations
- Experience leading HR for a division or subsidiary of a larger company preferred
- The ability to create high impact people programs with senior leaders in a scaling organization to achieve its goals
- Experience as an executive level leadership coach and advisor
- Exemplary interpersonal skills, driving alignment across senior leadership and various functions of the organization
- Broad expertise in organizational behavior, change leadership, talent management, policy implementation, employee relations and communications
- Progressive DEI leader with prior experience managing comprehensive inclusion strategies that cultivate a positive working experience for all
- Willingness to own decision making and accountability and take unpopular stands in the pursuit of excellence
- Analytical mindset committed to collecting and analyzing data to drive informed decision making
- Reputation of integrity, accountability, and exemplary senior leadership
- Ability to thrive in a multicultural environment and optimize workflows across various time zones and customs
- Understanding of core talent strategies that will allow The Athletic to attract, develop, and retain top talent throughout the employee lifecycle and with sensitivity to the unique challenges of a remote work environment
- Candidate must be eligible to work in the United States
Nice To Haves
- Media and/or startup experience
- Demonstrated experience managing Compensation and Benefits programs
- Expertise in organizational design, succession planning, and retention strategies across global organizations
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.