In this time of national reckoning, we at Food52 are having hard conversations about our role in a food media landscape that overlooks marginalized voices. We're committed to building a community that values and honors the contributions of the Black, Indigenous, and POC communities to our shared culinary experience—starting with the Food52 family. You can read about our support of the Black Lives Matter movement here.
As part of an ongoing initiative, we are focusing our efforts to put diversity, equity, and inclusion at the center of our hiring process and our company culture—and build a team that better reflects our desire for equal representation in everything we do. Our goal is systemic change at Food52.
Food52 is an award-winning innovator in the kitchen and home space, pioneering a unique commerce, content and community business model to reach a community of over 25 million cooks and home enthusiasts. We’re passionate about harnessing storytelling & relationships to give our deeply-engaged enthusiast audience everything they need to cook, eat, and live better at home.
As Food52 continues to accelerate our growth, we are looking for a high-energy leader with a passion for the future of retail and serious operational chops to help us bring to life a new retail vision that brings our digital community together offline, facilitating connections through content and commerce. Reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer, this role is a key member of the senior leadership team at Food52.
Over the next two years, this role will touch every part of the retail lifecycle: working alongside leadership to drive concept refinement, design development, permitting, and build-out; planning, launching, and refining operations with an eye towards customer experience excellence; and finally, strategizing, planning, and executing a national roll-out.
- Entrepreneurial: You’re a self-starter who takes the lead in getting things done as well as figuring out what needs to be done
- Creative: You thrive in environments that require innovation and creative problem-solving; you prefer creating the roadmap than being handed a map
- Customer-Obsessed: You have a passion for unique, unforgettable customer experiences and the complex mechanics that make these moments possible
- Servant Leader: You know how to select, train, and inspire high-performing teams; you intuitively understand how to bring out the best in everyone you meet
- High-Energy: You’re infectiously optimistic and resilient, and bring positivity and forward momentum to any team you join
- Develop a nuanced understanding of the retail industry, competitive landscape, Food52 brand, and retail technology, and use this knowledge to facilitate a new customer-first retail experience that brings together content, community and commerce
- Collaborate with Food52 leaders to finalize the concept, program and design for Food52’s first flagship store, along with plans for variations that suit a national roll-out
- Work closely with peers in Marketing, Brand Partnerships, Content, Merchandising, and Owned Brands to create optimal connections between online and offline experience
- Develop a rigorous financial model and operating plan, tying retail to company-wide goals and KPIs and ensuring the long-term growth, sustainability, and success of the retail vertical
- Oversee project from end-to-end, throughout phases of concept, design development, construction, and launch
- Survey real estate locations and assess feasibility of proposed locations for the concept
- Manage and create a reputation for excellence in deal structuring, relationship building, and negotiation with a wide variety of partners (e.g. landlord, agency, contractor, strategic partner)
- Build and motivate a team of world-class operators and service professionals that come together to create not only a renowned customer experience but an exceptional workplace culture
- Work tirelessly to refine and improve the customer experience, identifying gaps between desired and delivered service and finding ways to improve everyday
- Manage store P&L; report on operational KPIs including foot traffic, conversion rate, ATV, UPT, NPS, and repeat rate; work with peers in Audience Growth and Commerce to understand the omnichannel customer journey and LTV
- Evaluate potential expansion opportunities based on market dynamics, landlord partners, customer impact, expected revenue impact, and strategic value
- A minimum of 10+ years operational leadership experience within the retail, restaurant and/or hospitality industry
- A strong network of retail contacts, ideally across real estate, architecture, design, and hospitality, and restaurant groups
- Experience managing a multi-million-dollar budget, leveraging financial rigor to prioritize and allocate resources effectively
- Exceptional relationship-building skills with people and teams in all contexts
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills with proven ability to manage complex projects smoothly to launch
- Highly ambitious, self-motivated and goal-oriented; comfortable driving multiple projects independently and navigating ambiguity
- Experience in fast-paced, high-change environments
- Effective communicator with the ability to effectively work with key stakeholders and project partners
- A passion for building teams and mentoring top talent
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefit options (including some that are free for you!), flexible spending account, and any-time access to professional mental health advice
- Annual bonus plan
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Free life and AD&D insurance
- Unlimited vacation days (including two company-wide weeks off for Summer Week & Winter Week!)
- Discounted gym memberships and a free Citibike membership
- Pre-tax commuter benefit plan
- Flexible hours and working arrangements
- So many snacks!
Food52 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of one's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. Food52 will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local "Fair Chance" laws.