VP of Machine Learning
We strongly encourage people of colour, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Bumble is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
Bumble Inc. is seeking a VP of Machine Learning, responsible for driving Bumble’s use of Machine Learning (ML) to grow customer engagement and happiness.
You will shape, grow and run a dedicated machine learning (ML) product and engineering team, responsible for the development and productionalising of ML models at scale across our global apps. Your work will focus on critical value drivers across the end-to-end customer experience, including recommendation systems and content moderation and abuse prevention. Your team will play a pivotal role in enhancing the customer experience of our apps and further differentiating our brands.
You will be a strong thought partner for the CEO, President, and Executive Leadership Team, challenging the business on how machine learning can drive our business goals. You will build up the ML product team, attracting top talent, and will establish collaborative working relationships across the business. You will fuel the team’s curiosity to explore the art of the possible, focusing on the highest value opportunities, and hone it into ambitious work plans to be continuously improving and stretching the impact and distinctiveness of our ML products.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of building high performing teams and delivering productionalised ML driven solutions at scale. They must have a passion for developing a team culture that inspires excellence in driving business results, an appetite for continuous improvement, and a collaborative and congenial working environment.
- Responsible for owning and driving Bumble Inc.’s ML and AI strategy
- Build,deliver, and implement a comprehensive roadmap for ML capabilities, including customer facing experiences and core platform infrastructure
- Shape, grow and mentor the dedicated ML product and engineering team (including dedicated data scientists, ML engineers, product engineers, and ML Ops)
- Collaborate across the business to explore problems and explore solutions, then shape, gain alignment and execute on a prioritized ML roadmap for the highest value opportunities
- Oversee all phases of ML product development, from design, data gathering, training, validation, and implementation, resulting in us launching ML-based capabilities as platform APIs available to any of our apps
- Partner with cross-functional partners in the data engineering, product management and engineering, safety, and customer operations to continuously improve customer experience and revenue
- Continuously monitor and improve ML model performance against OKRs and competition
- Partner with our VP of Safety and Head of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, as well as other key stakeholders, to institute and lead a process to ensure that our ML models meet the highest ethical standards
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Pivotal Experience & Expertise
- 7+ years of experience leveraging cloud-based machine learning, data infrastructure and automation to deliver AI/ML driven solutions to solve business problems
- 7+ years of experience building and managing high performing data science teams including recruitment, career development, mentoring and talent management. Ability to build a large international data science team across multiple time zones.
- Significant experience in leveraging modern machine learning toolsets and programming languages
- Proven reputation as a highly credible and collaborative partner to business leaders, data, marketing, engineering, and product management teams
- Demonstrated experience leveraging various machine learning algorithms within high scale production mobile app environments
- A relentless problem solver and out of the box thinker with a proven track record of driving business results
- Comfortable in a high-growth, dynamic, fast-paced and agile environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well with executives and to collaborate cross-functionally and lead through influence across functional and organizational lines
- Experience working in global, diverse environments.
- Master’s or Ph.D. in Math, Computer Engineering, or related fields is a strong plus or Technology (computer science, computer engineering, economics, applied math, statistics, engineering, or other quantitative fields)
- Customer Obsession: Grounds thinking and actions in deep customer insight (combining internal and external sources), helps to guide business priorities based on this insight
- Shape Strategy: Anticipates and interprets market changes and proactively brings implications into planning meetings.
- Inspire and Influence: Builds powerful relationships across stakeholders, helps others find meaning and purpose in their work, inspires and motivates team members through energetic engagement.
- Builds Talent and Teams: An engaging and articulate leader who creates a common sense of purpose and leads by example. Demonstrated track record of acquiring talent and building highly effective teams.
Cultural Fit & Impact
- Entrepreneurial Edge: Combines big and small company experience with the ability to thrive in a global ‘start-up’ environment.
- Diversity: Brings diverse thinking with an inclusive attitude.
- Relationship Builder: An excellent communicator, able to engage and influence a wide range of customers – internal and external - and build productive relationships. Ability to build relationships virtually in a post-COVID world.
- Humility: Low ego and not hierarchical with a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves when necessary.
- Resilience and Results Focus: The determination and persistence required to overcome obstacles and stay the course of driving change. A relentless focus on winning in the market!
- Purpose: Deeply passionate about Bumble’s brand vision and values