VP, IT Business Systems
Plymouth Meeting, PA
Redwood City, CA
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
San Diego, CA
Reporting to the CIO, the VP Enterprise Applications will direct the planning and implementation of enterprise IT initiatives that result in successful delivery of the highest quality, most reliable, scalable and cost-effective technology solutions that enhance Emergent BioSolutions’ competitive position.
Through pioneering the next-generation ERP platform, and leading excellence across enterprise information management, the VP will enable significant strategic objectives, including scaling systems to support growing the business to $2 billion in revenue. He/she will be responsible for four key areas: enterprise architecture, solutions delivery, enterprise integration and information management.
Across each area, this individual will provide strategic direction, from thought leadership to roadmaps and sequencing, architecture and blueprinting to tactical execution; always considering interoperability across systems in order to deliver seamless functionality. He/She will drive a technology and architectural direction that enables effective and lean delivery, achieves quality improvement, and connects the organization, looking horizontally and holistically across technology, people, and processes to enable business goals.
The individual seeking this opportunity will be a strong thought leader, great people leader and excellent communicator, with the ability to work within a matrixed environment. Above all, the person is expected to be an exceptional collaborator across multiple business stakeholders, vendor partners and the team members. Significant emphasis will be placed on identifying opportunities for innovation in order to ensure success in an increasingly competitive and fast-moving industry landscape.
IT GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- End-to-End Thinking – Drive solutions from concept to delivery.
- Business Outcomes Focused – Ensure IT is enabling strategic business goals.
- One IT – Look horizontally across platforms and solutions to ensure a seamless experience across the business.
- Outside-In – Be mindful of IT’s perception throughout Emergent, be outward looking and collaborative.
DRIVING A NEW VISION
As Emergent has evolved, so has IT, the business trajectory created the need to mature and scale the systems landscape to enable flexible, rapid and the high-quality delivery of innovative technology solutions. There is a demand for continuous improvement, capability management, new processes and innovative technologies to help the organization to sustain its growth and to hit its core 2025 objectives.
The vision for IT is to become a high performing, technology leader in the pharmaceutical industry, providing tools, platforms and processes to allow Emergent to expand to meet demand. IT will provide innovative, integrated and advanced solutions to enable the business to hit these goals.
There are a lot of challenges facing the CIO’s organization over the coming years and the following headlines are prominent features of the strategy moving forward:
- Standardize business systems, processes and investments to harmonize the landscape and leverage economies of scale, finding synergies in investments and bringing maximum ROI to the business. Drive a digitally connected enterprise where business decisions are data driven.
- Leverage and build on the new business partnering model, with the value proposition of IT moving from a support service function, to an enabling function which is business goal oriented.
- Champion collaboration, productivity and accountability: drive transparency across the function focusing on finance, resource management, PMO and prioritization.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Provide oversight and optimize the requirements, design, configuration, testing and deployment of enterprise applications and business systems in support of core organizational functions and processes.
- Lead next generation ERP: strategy, delivery and run of future-proofed ERP systems across R&D, Quality, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Corporate and Commercial functions.
- Leverage SAP CoE, including S4 HANA implementation, to ensure organization is well structured and well organized to rapidly scale and deliver on growing volumes, increased business complexity, global expansion, new product development and organic growth, as well as M&A activity.
- Manage the health and full system lifecycle of Emergent’s application landscape, including SLA management, continuous improvement programs and consideration of cybersecurity & data integrity requirements.
- Enable solutions delivery on biotechnology laboratory and manufacturing platforms for biopharma environments, provide the business counterparts with the necessary thought-leadership on business systems optimization and process optimizations across multiple business segments.
Lead development of an enterprise information management capability to drive business effectiveness.
- Drive information-sharing across the business units and leverage foundational technologies to pull insights on business performance and capabilities.
- Develop a robust data, analytics and insights strategy that will facilitate decision-making across the organization.
- Reduce manual processes and automate metrics, analytics and dashboarding.
- Introduce technology which enables collaboration and productivity improvement.
Lead the enterprise architecture function across data architecture, infrastructure architecture, business and solution architecture.
- Work with vendors, and with peers to develop and coordinate strategy, architecture, roadmap, budget, and execution of IT services.
- Responsible for developing, distributing, supporting, enforcing, and integrating best practices and technology standards across the organization.
Lead enterprise integration by taking a horizontal view.
- Assess business processes holistically across all corporate functions and within the four business units: CDMO, devices, vaccines and therapeutics.
- Connect and build an overarching, integrated architecture and roadmap that will capitalize on economies of scale.
- Work with direct and indirect reports and coach the move away from a ‘vertical’ functional mindset and into a more horizontal, joined-up way of working.
Lead organizational readiness for change across:
- Provide strong leadership to the various team members through mentoring, career development, interpersonal skills, teamwork ethic, and enabling leadership skills. Ensure enterprise-wide training and well-defined roles to best leverage new ERP systems.
- Own Executive level communication and interaction including consulting, understanding and translating business needs into achievable, sustainable and innovative technical solutions and capability roadmaps.
- Robust definition of business processes and best practices to ensure repeatability, scalability and interoperability.
- Enhance and expand SAP modules and other supporting enterprise applications which enable business goals.
- Lead efforts to implement and optimize a right sized release management capability.
- Continually assess and evaluate the impact of emerging technologies against the strategic business needs and interpret business value for the leadership team in a consultative capacity.
- Serve as “hands-on” escalation point to identify and suggest approaches to resolve project and operational issues.
- Fiscal stewardship in all aspects in all areas of responsibility.
- Ensure responsive approach to M&A activities and continually improving Emergent’s playbook.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
KEY CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE
- Experience managing ERP applications within Life Sciences, including end-to-end implementation of SAP, with S4 HANA a bonus. Demonstrated technical leadership experience across other supporting applications including: Veeva, SuccessFactors and LIMs.
- Proven expert in enterprise-wide business intelligence and information management solutions, which have enabled a business to become data-driven in decision making.
- Demonstrated technical leadership experience, which has included the successful strategy for enterprise architecture, including enterprise integration.
- Knowledge of cGMP requirements is required along with strong experience with validated life science systems and ability to drill down into technologies covering the entire value chain- from R&D, to Manufacturing, Supply Chain to Corporate & Commercial.
- Experience with functional management in a global enterprise applying a combination of internal resources and external vendors. A proven track record of managing diverse technical staff and resources from a combination of in house and multiple sourcing providers including SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS providers.
- Works well and comfortable in a highly matrix managed environment, with strong leadership, management and mentoring abilities; excellent interpersonal skills in staff supervision, end-user support, and peer interactions at management levels.
- Demonstrated ability to present written and oral recommendations with a track record of negotiating terms internally and externally.
- Proven experience in creating and defining new operations models/procedures and explaining complex problems or situations.
- Project planning and management skills, including ability to identify and assess risk to determine action.
- Demonstrated technical leadership experience, which has included the successful development and implementation of roadmaps for large, enterprise-wide technology transformation initiatives.
- Strong understanding of the relationship between applications, databases, operating systems, processing platforms, storage platforms, and networks.
- Strong knowledge of technology development life cycle methodologies, change management, and project management.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to link work priorities to business imperatives; proven experience within a business partnership IT model, demonstrating the value proposition of IT to the wider business.
- Excellent communication and executive level influencing skills, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with IT leadership teams and with the ability to build partnerships across organization.
- Experience in a planning and control role (budgeting & tracking, plan development, status reporting, etc.).
- The ideal candidate will have a BA/BS degree in Computer Science/Engineering or Business-related degree, with at least 15+ years of experience leading application development and maintenance including 8-10 years of experience in managing multiple, medium to large, cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders in designing and applying technology to produce integrated, enterprise-wide solutions in a Pharmaceutical/highly regulated industry.
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals with qualifying medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices that may prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.