VP, Head of Regulatory Policy Group
MetLife Washington, DC17 days ago
The incumbent will lead the Regulatory Policy Group in the development of regulatory policy positions and advocacy strategies before federal, state, and international regulators and policy-making bodies in areas including systemic risk, capital, leverage and liquidity requirements. Under the incumbent’s leadership, the RPG will work collaboratively with MetLife’s corporate functions and businesses to identify and influence significant regulatory policy issues and to ensure a consistent voice to key regulators regarding MetLife’s regulatory positions and priorities. Excellent communication skills—both written and verbal—with internal and external stakeholders is a critical success factor for the role.
- Lead the Regulatory Policy Group in the development of regulatory policy positions and advocacy strategies related to systemic risk.
- Lead the Regulatory Policy Group in the development of regulatory policy positions and advocacy strategies related to global standard setting activities aimed at the insurance sector.
- Coordinate and prioritize regulatory advocacy in areas such as capital, leverage and liquidity requirements, at the federal, state (including the NAIC), and global levels.
- Effectively represent MetLife to senior policymakers and regulators.
- Monitor the political landscape and provide business leaders with proactive early identification of the direction of regulatory change so that they can consider potential impacts in their business and product development plans.
- Establish cross-functional teams to ensure effective implementation of regulatory change and the identification of regulatory challenges.
- Develop policy interpretations of new regulatory requirements.
- Develop and coordinate relationship development with key regulators across the company.
- Systematically coordinate the key functions most impacted by increased regulatory oversight, including Finance, Compliance, Law, Risk and Audit, to track regulatory challenges and policy issues across the company, and ensure cross-functional knowledge of high-level regulatory discussions.
- Provide strategic advice to the Executive Group and senior leaders regarding MetLife’s position on key regulatory issues.
- Tap into external policy resources (trade associations, think tanks, law firms, former regulators) to favorably influence policy debate and outcomes.
- Reports to: SVP, Global Government Relations
- Direct reports/team: Two direct reports
- Key Stakeholders: Chief Risk Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Corporate Treasurer, CEO, US Business President, Japan CEO
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree (MBA, doctorate) is a plus.
- 15 years+ of financial regulatory experience
- Senior-level position(s) within governmental bodies such as the US Treasury Department, the Federal Reserve, and committees in the US Congress with oversight over financial regulators required
- Background working within a law firm, analyst firm or financial institution on analysis or advocacy on regulatory matters a plus
- Public or private sector experience in regulatory examinations and supervision is a plus
- Established relationships with senior federal regulators and government officials
- Ability to effectively communicate with and influence business clients, including senior management, to build consensus and synthesize multiple views into a strong and persuasive company position a must
- Ability to develop and implement strategies to achieve results
- Ability to manage and motivate a team to achieve desired objectives
- Excellent strategic and analytical capability combined with superior written and oral communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and competing demands effectively
MetLife Success Principles
- Experiment with Confidence – Courageously learn and test new ideas without fear of failure
- Act with Urgency – Demonstrate speed to action with agility and determination
- Seek Diverse Perspectives – Source ideas and feedback to expand thinking and make informed decisions
- Seize Opportunity – Drive responsible growth and identify areas for continuous improvement
- Champion Inclusion – Foster an environment where everyone is valued, heard, and can speak up
- Create Alignment – Partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency
- Take Responsibility – Be accountable and act in pursuit of the right outcomes
- Enable Solutions – Anticipate and address obstacles while managing risk
- Deliver What Matters – Execute meaningful priorities and follow through on commitments
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $600 billion of total assets under management as of December 31, 2019. We are ranked #44 on the Fortune 500 list for 2019. In 2019, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fourth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com or call our Employee Relations Department at 1-877-843-3711.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.