VP, Head of Purpose Communications
This is a critical, strategic role which will lead the development and implementation of communications strategy for Prudential’s purpose-driven work across the company, globally. This executive will bring exceptional storytelling skills to the role, as well as a deep understanding of the subject matter and the nuances and complexities of this work, which includes all of the components of Prudential’s ESG initiatives, with a focus titled toward storytelling substantiated by our impact investing portfolio, grant making by The Prudential Foundation and Prudential, and diversity, equity, inclusion, and culture initiatives. The role will be responsible for leading communications programs that bring to life Prudential’s long-term actions, commitments, and achievements in this space, as well as the vibrant programmatic work underway today involving the company’s talent, philanthropy and investments, aligned with the capabilities and strategies of our businesses. In addition to counseling the Senior Vice President, Inclusive Solutions, and her team, the strategist will work closely with executives throughout the company, and with communications professionals across Prudential’s global businesses and corporate functions to address a comprehensive range of internal and external stakeholders in the U.S. and internationally.
- Lead communications counselor to the SVP of Inclusive Solutions, and her senior leadership team; communications subject matter expert for major multi-year initiatives supporting Prudential’s growth ambitions, and the company’s Purpose-related agenda, which includes ESG, Impact Investing, Partnerships and DEI. The work spans the enterprise, and comes to life through our businesses, people, partnerships, and philanthropy.
- Leader of a communications team accountable for creating awareness, advocacy, and participation in Prudential’s Purpose and ESG agenda.
- Work with internal partners and SMEs to develop an overarching Purpose narrative to guide Prudential’s storytelling; analyze for strengths and weaknesses, build the arc, leverage thought leadership to substantiate and enrich the story.
- Identify and leverage macro trends, and create responsive multi-layered multi-stakeholder communications plans using a mix of internal, traditional, social, digital and earned media channels.
- Inform the editorial vision for Prudential’s content and thought leadership program, driving campaigns to promote our Purpose and related initiatives in compelling, actionable, and differentiated ways, and consulting on communications strategy to optimize executive positioning.
- Map and understand the evolving stakeholder universe around these issues, and lead the development of a prioritized stakeholder engagement strategy understanding the threats and opportunities underlying Prudential’s positioning and reputation.
- Partner closely with Prudential’s issues management/crisis response team to prepare for, and respond to, urgent issues.
- Advise on the company’s ESG reporting approach and identify opportunities for amplification, in partnership with teams across Prudential Communications, External Affairs and Inclusive Solutions.
- Leverage the resources and centers of expertise within the Prudential Communications organization – including platform development, analytics, research, and media impact – to quantify and deepen communications impact, improve decision support and drive outcomes.
- Collaborate closely with Prudential's marketing organization to determine content and positioning of initiatives and issues focused on inclusive growth, impact investing, philanthropy, and diversity, equity and inclusion issues.
Prudential Communications desired skills
- Business Acumen: Understands and leverages organizational, financial and industry data to better address customer needs and/or operations
- Outcomes Focus: Delivers results that support project, function, and business outcomes, and maximizes my own utility by prioritizing work appropriately and executing efficiently.
- Creativity: Sees connections that others do not, successfully applies ideas drawn from seemingly unrelated contexts, and generates a wide array of useful solutions to solve problems.
- Persuasive Influence: Effectively persuades others, remains diplomatic in difficult situations, and leverage a large network of relationships for the good of the business.
- Communications Coaching: Coaches Communications colleagues and business partners in core communications skills and strategies when needed and shares good ideas for improving Communications' work and/or reputation.
- Channel Management: Increases familiarity of a wide array of channels, leverages their possibilities for maximum impact and adapts messages effectively to them.
- 10+ years of professional communications experience, incorporating both internal and external communications leadership, demonstrating the ability to identify and tell memorable corporate purpose stories.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and management skills, including analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills, which support sound decision making.
- 5-10 years of management experience, leading through both authority and influence.
- Self-starter with a customer-centric, value creation and operational mindset, propensity for action and ability to work in a matrixed environment.
- Strategic media relations instincts and judgement; outstanding writing, messaging and editing skills.
- Extensive experience partnering with senior leaders to develop executive platforms and thought leadership opportunities, including internal events and presentations, written responses to media inquiries, Op-Eds, speeches, blog posts, interview and panel prep, and speeches.
- Subject matter expertise in corporate social responsibility, shared value, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience managing third-party agency relationships and working with creative partners on collateral including social media graphics, videos, and event materials.
- Proven ability to effectively partner cross-functionally in a complex organization.
- High level of independence and skill in planning, organizing, prioritizing, and executing simultaneous projects and activities and discretion working with sensitive information.
- Highly self-motivated and able to thrive in an extremely fast-paced and changing environment.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Suite: Word, Teams, SharePoint file-sharing, PowerPoint, and occasional Excel.
- Hybrid role requires 3-5 days monthly travel to Newark, NJ. This travel is considered commuting and therefore is non-reimbursable. Prudential also reserves the right to adapt these expectations based on business needs and the changing requirements of the role.
Our Company and Culture
- Prudential has been an industry leader in financial services for more than 140 years. We offer customers innovative solutions for growing and protecting wealth. With over $1.6 trillion in assets under management and a presence in 20 countries across 5 continents, we strive to service customers and create long-term value for stakeholders by pairing strong ethics and business fundamentals with a wide array of financial products and services, ranging from life insurance, retirement planning and annuities to asset management.
- Prudential Financial, Inc. is focused on creating a fully inclusive culture, where all employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work. We don’t just accept differences—we celebrate them, support them, and thrive because of them. At Prudential, employees have a unique opportunity to own their development as they design unique career paths that prepare them to excel in roles that stretch and grow them throughout their career. We encourage employees to perpetually hone their skills and explore opportunities across the Prudential’s business.
About Prudential Communications
Prudential Communications works with partners and stakeholders inside and outside the enterprise to create advocacy for our company, asking meaningful questions, shaping dialogue about key issues, informing business decisions, building consequential relationships, and deepening connections. We work together across our team to deliver outcomes that further Prudential’s purpose of making lives better by solving the financial challenges of our changing world, to accelerate Prudential’s transformation and growth, and to cultivate belief in the company’s future. We’re committed to providing every member of our team with opportunities to learn and grow, while fostering closer integration, a truly inclusive workplace, and new ways of working that increase impact and productivity. We strive for excellence, simplicity, clarity, and impact in everything we do.
About Inclusive Solutions
Inclusive Solutions is a team of subject matter experts within Prudential that incubates and scales partnerships, distribution channels, and services to advance the company’s societal aim to close the financial divide as a moral and business imperative. Created over four decades ago, the team identifies and supports high impact nonprofit organizations, funder collaboratives, and cross-sector coalitions on the front lines of progress and integrates insights from this work into the businesses and functions of Prudential. The team also stewards a $1 billion impact investing portfolio, conducts grantmaking by The Prudential Foundation, and leads diversity, equity, inclusion and culture initiatives at Prudential.
Prudential Financial, Inc. of the United States is not affiliated with Prudential plc. which is headquartered in the United Kingdom.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, domestic partner status , medical condition or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Prudential Insurance Company of America, Newark, NJ and its affiliates.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about doing business with Prudential.
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES:
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, which may include an assessment, please email email@example.com.
Please note that the above email is solely for individuals with disabilities requesting an accommodation. If you are experiencing a technical issue with your application or an assessment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance.