San Francisco, CA
Palo Alto, CA
San Diego, CA
Jerry is looking for a seasoned engineering leader who is passionate about working with a consumer product that has a net positive impact to join us as our VP of Engineering. Leading our engineering org, you will work directly with the CTO and partner with our senior leaders to understand Jerry’s direction, co-develop our technical strategy, and improve engineering practices. You will provide technical guidance, build a culture of excellence and develop processes and systems to scale up our engineering org as we enter this next phase of our Super App journey. Your high expectations and energy will inspire everyone around you.
What You'll Do:
- Lead and mentor our team of mobile, web, backend and data engineers; directly supervise our team leaders and develop a strong engineering culture
- Provide technical guidance on architecture, performance and scalability, security, etc.
- Develop systems and processes to scale performance, maintain engagement in a mostly remote engineering environment
- Facilitate and collaborate with cross functional partners including product, design, data science, marketing and operations
Who You Are:
- Fluency in Mandarin and English
- You have successfully scaled engineering teams from 50 to 150+
- You have experience working on a consumer-facing product (mobile or web); experience weathering a startup is strongly preferred
- You are passionate about teaching and developing others
- You continually strive for excellence and are never satisfied with the status quo
- You have demonstrated strong technical mastery and in software engineering at scale
Our Technical Stack:
- GraphQL API
- PostgreSQL DB (transactional)
- ClickHouse (columnar DB for data warehousing)
- Redis (session storage, task queue management)
- Sequelize ORM (being deprecated in favor of TypeORM)
- Jest test runner
- Infrastructure: Built on AWS, microservice architecture with containerized services deployed on ECS and EKS. Asynchronous processing functions running on Lambda.