VP, Employee & Labor Relations
The VP, Employee Relations (ER) and Labor Relations is a new position within the People organization that is responsible for overseeing and managing matters related to the relationships between the company and its employees, as well as the interactions with labor unions. You will have a deep understanding of labor laws, employment practices, negotiation skills, conflict resolution abilities, and excellent communication skills. You will work closely with senior management, legal teams, and People Business Partners to ensure that the organization maintains positive employee relationships and complies with relevant labor regulations.
- Report to the SVP, Global People Business Partners and be based in our New York City office.
- Create a new Center of Excellence within the People team by leading and building our ER, Labor Relations and Compliance function. As a leader, you’re striving to achieve great things and are unafraid of trying new things to get there with your team. You will thrive when working in ambiguity – handling issues that do not always have a process or a system in place but you will take the initiative to build these. You’ll do this with the support of two managers who will report to you directly.
- As a leader you achieve what you promise your clients, your colleagues and your team – thoughtfully and reliably. Business leaders and employees know they can rely on you and they experience excellent partnership from you and your team.
- You will lead the implementation of HR Acuity. Develop and implement policies and practices that foster positive relationships between the organization and its employees. This involves overseeing and addressing employee concerns, investigations, grievances, and disputes in a fair and consistent manner.
- Alongside the Legal team you are responsible for negotiating and maintaining collective bargaining agreements, representing the company's interests in negotiations with labor unions, and ensuring compliance with labor laws and regulations.You can also Identify potential legal and organizational risks related to labor relations and take proactive and pragmatic steps to mitigate them.
- You will lead and contribute to the organization's overall business strategy by aligning employee relations and labor relations strategies with broader company goals.
- You and your team will handle conflicts and disputes between employees, departments, or between labor unions and management. This involves finding amicable solutions and maintaining a productive work environment.
- In cases where conflicts cannot be resolved through standard channels, the head of ER and Labor Relations may be involved in formal mediation or arbitration processes to reach a resolution with our Legal team. This could include outside counsel or parties.
- Oversee Compliance work and partner with the legal team to ensure compliance with labor laws, employment regulations, and collective bargaining agreements. Staying up-to-date with changes in labor laws and adapting company policies accordingly.
- Facilitate effective communication between management and employees or labor unions. This includes disseminating important information, explaining policies, and addressing concerns. You can communicate openly, assuming good intent when working with our business, our team and our partners. With courage, you can speak up and be honest, even when it’s hard.
- Oversee the development of training programs to educate managers and employees about labor laws, company policies, and dispute resolution techniques. Partnering with our Legal team and NewCorp compliance partners to roll these out.
- Working with our People Insights team you will utilize data and analytics to assess employee sentiment, identify trends, and make informed decisions regarding employee relations and labor relations initiatives.
- 10+ years combined human resources & management experience
- Experience creating and expanding best practices.
- Ability to position self as credible (garners respect, acts with integrity, keeps commitments); proactive (has a point of view, challenges assumptions, takes initiative); and a trusted thought partner (builds relationships, delivers results)
- Demonstrated experience and ability to balance company priorities with employee advocacy
- Experience with labor relations, include contract negotiations, handling grievances and arbitrations, and contract interpretation
- Expertise working with a global HR team and knowledge of current employment/labor laws (federal, state, and local regulations)
- Ability to use data and analytics to develop recommendations and actions
- Experience managing and resolving issues/negotiations
- Comprehensive Healthcare Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plans
- Comprehensive Insurance Plans
- Lifestyle programs & Wellness Resources
- Education Benefits
- Family Care Benefits & Caregiving Support
- Commuter Transit Program
- Subscription Discounts
- Employee Referral Program
Learn more about all our US benefits
Reasonable accommodation: Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at email@example.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line and provide a brief description of the type of assistance you need. This inbox will not be monitored for application status updates.Business Area: PEOPLE
Job Category: Human Resources
Non-Union / A clear and likely internal candidate
Pay Range: $140,000 - $450,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce..
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world’s top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.