VP, Data Security
San Francisco, CA
The Security Engineering and Operations team is looking for an executive leader to drive its data security program. We are looking for a technologist with deep expertise in security, building highly-scalable distributed systems, and leading large globally-distributed organizations.
In the role, you will drive the strategic direction and execution plans for the data security program for Salesforce across all Salesforce business units. You will lead the design, engineering and operations for a Key management service supporting hundreds of thousands of keys and millions of data encryption clients.
You will establish the vision and guide the implementation of world-class secret management capabilities, supporting thousands of services and tens of millions of endpoints in our on-premise and public cloud environments. You will scale out our data security processes to drive data protection across all phases of the software lifecycle: design, development, and runtime including encryption, authentication, data classification and data lake prevention as well as data lifecycle management automation.
In partnership with architects and the crypto council, You will drive the design and implementation of engineering solutions for high cryptographic assurance, including crypto next generation, FIPS, post quantum cryptography, multi-party computing (MPC) and HSM backed FIPS level 3 assurance.
You will recruit and retain the best security talent and growing your organization and its people. You will be working closely with senior executive leaders, security industry authorities and standard buddies.
- Lead the vision, drive the strategy and execution plan to build a world-class program at scale for the fastest growing enterprise cloud in the industry
- Partner with executives and peers across the company to deliver shared outcomes that measurably improve our efficacy and efficiency to protect our most valuable assets - Data.
Establish yourself as the company leader for driving solutions in this space
- Establish credibility as a trusted advisor to collaborators including customers, executives, peers, and employees
- Partner with industry leading experts to bring in innovative solutions in the data security, key management and secret management space, as well as contribute to the security community
- Drive strategic partnerships and solutions alignment with vendors
- Build and lead a successful global team of engineers, devops and ops in data security.
- Champion and facilitate the professional growth of the Data Security organization and lead effective multi-functional teamwork across groups within the organization
- Build interpersonal capability within your teams by recruiting and retaining outstanding talent and providing mentorship, training, and other opportunities for professional growth and development
- Streamline and deliver greater efficiency in the overall organization, both in software development and operational activities
- Build an elite set of autonomous and highly-available platforms capable of performing data protection, classification and secret management for millions of endpoints across on-premise and public clouds
- Maintain solid understanding of technology in the key management, cryptography, data classification and secret management space, as well as operational best practices in the data security landscape
- Work effectively as part of a geographically distributed team
- 15+ years of experience in software development, including: Building large scale distributed systems and infrastructure platforms And Experience in a high-availability 24/7 environment with a devops mentality and strong ownership over services and processes.
- Creating effective security strategies and implementing security controls, especially in the data security space.
- Building and leading entire security programs with company-wide impact
- In-depth knowledge of key management, data encryption and secret management solutions for both cloud and on-prem scenarios and prior experience in key management and its related processes and procedures
- Ability to drive innovation in data classification, data lifecycle management, cryptography, key management.
- Experience with secure rum-time secret management for containers and microservices as well as monolithic applications running on 1st party data centers, Kubernets, multiple cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP, Alibaba).
- Deep knowledge in application and infrastructure security, as well as security fundamentals (IAM, Data Protection, PKI, Network Security)
- Experience leading large geo-distributed organizations (50+ people) with diverse functional abilities (engineering and operations)
- Experience working in high growth companies and the ability to identify and build new capabilities as the scaling needs arise
- Previous experience developing cryptographic solutions such as key managers, secret managers, crypto libraries, PKI solutions, HSM or digital signing.
- Registered patents related to cryptography, data security or proven track record leading a standardization effort in the crypto space.
- Experience with multi-party computing.
- Previous experience developing data classification and/or data lifecycle management solutions.
- Understanding of security compliance standards and regulations (e.g., ISO 27001, PCI, SOC, FISMA, FedRAMP, HIPAA, GDPR) and previous experience working with information security, IT audit, security risk and policy compliance.
- Security-based credentials (SSCP, GIAC GCUX, GSEC, GCED, GCIH, GCIA, etc)
- Relevant information security certifications, such as CISSP, Offensive Security OSCP
- Understanding of export controls and international regulations related to cryptography.
- Deep understanding of post quantum cryptography.