VP, Data Science
Salt Lake City, UT
We are looking for an experienced VP, Data Science, who has previous experience leading Data Science teams and projects supporting Healthcare software applications.
The VP, Data Science role involves:
- Solving technical, data-driven Healthcare problems using computer science, mathematical, predictive modeling and statistical methods and knowledge
- Actively growing, managing, and mentoring Waystar's Data Science team
- Showcasing the cutting-edge application of data science techniques in Waystar's offerings by speaking with clients, prospects and at industry conferences and events
- Identifying and evaluating new data science technologies.
This person will interact with teams from Product Management, Account Management and Application Engineering to maximize the utility of predictive modeling, analytic and machine learning across Waystar's product line. The role centers on leading and evangelizing Waystar's focus on extending machine learning, predictive modeling, and analytic components to provide up-to-date intelligence to Healthcare providers maximizing outcomes. An ideal candidate for this position has experience leading and building data science teams with a focus on machine learning and predictive modeling, can take requests from various stakeholders and map them to data-driven solutions, has a strong attention to detail, and thrives in working in a fast-paced, collaborative and team-based environment.
What you'll be doing:
- Work closely with Application Engineering, Product Management, and Operational teams to lead the data science effort in designing, experimenting-with, and implementing machine learning and analytic systems applied to design information and user behavior
- Work to design and lead the data science effort on groundbreaking new applications of machine learning and analytic technology to Healthcare, producing quantitative, justifiable results to guide feature planning.
- Continually evolve Waystar’s data science toolkits and processes to leverage new technologies and best practice implementations
- Translates real-world Healthcare problems to data-driven, mathematical frameworks
- Lead and grow Waystar's Data Science team, including managing and coaching existing team members while recruiting talented individuals to join the team
- Evangelize the use of machine learning, predictive modeling and proven analytic processes both within the Waystar organization and externally by speaking and presenting at industry conferences and by publishing results in industry publications and broader AI and machine learning publications
- Lead the process of data exploration, hypothesis creation (from business and product goals), testing algorithms, scaling to large data-sets and validating results will be common tasks for this role
What we're looking for:
- Experience managing and growing a data science team within a technology-focused industry; ideally within the healthcare vertical
- Experience taking a data-driven, machine learning solution to real-world industry problems from conception to production, consumable by clients
- Experience speaking, presenting and publishing R&D outcomes from applying machine learning and predictive modeling to industry-driven problems
- Complete familiarity with various statistical and machine learning techniques including: classification, regression, dimension reduction, clustering, deep learning, and various multivariate methods
- Complete familiarity with empirical approaches to estimate performance of machine learning models including: hold-out sets, cross-validation, and leave-one-out testing
- Understanding of orders of algorithms and how they scale to large datasets
- Demonstrated competency in R/Python predictive modeling
- Demonstrated competency in RDBMS (e.g. SQL Server)
- Must be a quick learning with ability to multi-task in fast paced environment
- Outstanding presentation abilities that are easily consumed by a broad team
- Comfortable working in newly-forming, ambiguous areas where learning and adaptability are key skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Must possess strong analytical, problem-solving, and writing skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Master degree or higher in the fields of Computer Science, Statistics, or Mathematics is preferred
- Ability to code in 1+ general purpose programming language (C#, Java, etc.)
- Track record of authoring industry or academic publications is preferred
- Track record of presenting machine learning and analytic results at industry or academic conferences is preferred
- An aptitude for medical informatics is preferred
Waystar provides cloud-based technology that simplifies and unifies healthcare payments. Together, our technology, data and client support streamline workflows and improve financials for our clients, so that they can focus on their patients. We are deeply committed to living out our organizational values: honesty; kindness; passion; curiosity; fanatical focus; best work, always; making it happen; and joyful, optimistic and fun.