New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
SoundCloud is a next-generation music entertainment company powered by an ecosystem of artists, fans, and thriving communities. As one of the world’s most influential cultural platforms, SoundCloud holds a singular market position as both a music-streaming service with the largest catalogue of music, and an artist services and distribution business to help artists grow long-term, successful careers.
SoundCloud is looking for a passionate, talented, fearless, music loving leader to serve as the head of finance for SoundCloud’s Creator Services and Tools business. This role will also serve as a trusted business advisor to the functional leaders of the Creator unit by providing financial, business, and analytical advisory services. The role will consider financial performance, financial and non-financial KPIs, and external factors to produce robust but clear operating reports, performance narratives, and data-driven, bottoms-up forecast models.
Furthermore, this role will provide visibility to the accounting team on a monthly basis for pipeline activity that may be relevant for accrual purposes. The role will also partner with the SoundCloud corporate finance team to facilitate robust financial and operational reporting for the Executive Team and investors with respect to performance of the Creator business.
The VP of Creator FP&A will report directly to the SVP of Finance at SoundCloud (Dan Bettes) along with dotted line reporting into the head of the Creator business. With a critical eye for engaging data to drive actionable business insights, this is a highly visible and key senior member of the Creator business. In addition, the VP of Creator FP&A will manage the unit’s company’s short- and long-term planning, budgeting, and alignment of overall business strategy against the company’s financial plan.
- Leverage analytical, business metric data and model building to advise operational leaders on business unit performance, deal negotiations, business development opportunities and cost management
- Develop and produce comprehensive monthly management reporting that create a clear view of periodic performance in support of financial goals, inclusive of budget-to-actual variance analyses and clear narratives on underlying performance drivers
- Plan and execute all aspects of financial analysis projects and statistical studies for the unit
- Provide unit leaders with analysis and advice on how best to utilize company financial resources to increase profitability and overall growth targets
- Manage competitive benchmarking and long-range strategic modeling for the unit
- Assist in the development of strategic initiatives, such as: product pricing, brand and performance marketing spend, resource planning, and capital allocation
- Partner with business development and A&R team to establish an effective process that strikes the right balance between innovation and control for the deployment of creator advances
- Develop and maintain financial reporting packages for the Select and Roster portfolio (e.g. individual and blended IRRs, payback periods, P&L vs. cash flow)
- Provide accounting with necessary pipeline information on a monthly basis to assist in complete and timely closure of the books
- Provide corporate finance team with necessary insights and reports to 1) accurately represent unit performance in consolidated and consolidating reporting packages, 2) understand the potential impact of past performance on budgets or future long-term forecasts, a 3) help allocate capital resources needed to fulfill the unit’s strategic objectives.
- Grow a high-caliber team properly as the business continues to grow and scale
Experience and Background:
The successful candidate will be hard-working, highly ethical, data driven and able to think and act both strategically and independently, and drive projects forward. Qualified candidates will have experience with FP&A or business advisory roles in the music services, ideally in dynamic, multinational organizations. This position operates in a fast-paced environment and must be able to support senior leaders through effective communication, logical reasoning, and data focused solutions. The right individual will further establish processes, frameworks, and systems to scale the FP&A function of the SoundCloud creator business.
Furthermore, the VP of Creator FP&A is a proven organizational leader who possesses 8 or more years of finance, accounting, or professional managerial experience. They will have highly developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including outstanding presentation skills and ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively at all levels of the organization. The successful candidate must be able to deliver accurate forecasts and give high-quality decision support to the Executive Team.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks; proactive with a high sense of urgency
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and superior presentation skills
- Exceptional knowledge and ability to use advanced analytics to optimize financial reporting initiatives and institute a culture of confidence and precision
- Forward looking leader with a passion for unlocking data analytics to optimize financial performance
- Desire to strive for excellence and continuous improvement; ability to develop innovative and creative solutions
- Drive business results with a consistent focus on creating optimal systems and processes
- Ability to be operational and hands-on, while understanding the strategic view
- Excellent quantitative, financial and analytical skills as well as the ability to see the complete picture. A team player with the self-confidence, presence and consultative skills to positively influence the business
- Quickly adaptable, fast, and agile leader with a point of view on new market opportunities
- Motivation to serve as an action-oriented team player with outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a results-oriented / fast-paced environment
- Excellent process and project management skills
- Positive, driven, and energetic; able to roll-up their sleeves to get the job done
- Ability to build strategic relationships with key leaders within the organization
- Desire to understand the climate and culture and push appropriate change(s), where needed
- Leads people through change - takes on the role of leading, motivating and energizing a team to take on a new direction or challenge, enabling team members to function well in a changing environment
- Integrity, credibility and character with demonstrated moral and ethical behavior
- 10+ years of multinational Business Advisory finance leadership experience in media and/or music industry
- 5+ years of experience supporting digital subscription, music or video streaming services, consumer tech or gaming platforms
- MBA preferred or relevant experience
- Experience in business development or M&A transactions a plus
- International markets experience a plus
- High proficiency in Excel deal-based modeling preferred
- Able to travel to company offices, as needed, in the US and internationally
- Able to comply with some in-office and remote working policies
- Experience in building and developing FP&A teams required
- General understanding of US GAAP and IFRS impact on management reporting and forecasting
- Self-motivated and stress resilient
- Approachable and calm demeanor
- Deep knowledge of Excel; experience in leveraging Adaptive Insights and Oracle, a plus
- Excellent skills in cash flow, P&L and B/S modeling, including working capital
- Star tup company fundraising and cap table management experience, preferred
- Fully developed excellent communications skills - written, verbal and interpersonal - and an ability to tailor and refine communication style to diverse audiences globally
- Experience in driving the strategic transformation of the organization
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization
- Empathetic and engaging individual, who listens well, is responsive, solutions & data focused, and results oriented
- Successful career track-record
- We are a multinational company with offices in the US (New York and Los Angeles), Germany (Berlin), and the UK (London)
- We provide a flexible work culture that offers the opportunity to collaborate and connect in person at our offices as well as accommodating work from home
- We are deeply committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels of our organization and fostering a community where everyone’s voice, perspective and experience is respected and heard
- We believe a strong team is made by investing in employees through mentorship, workshops and enrichment opportunities
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as mental health resources
- Robust 401k program
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Generous professional development allowance
- Interested in a gym membership, photography course or book? We have a Creativity and Wellness benefit!
- Flexible vacation and public holiday policy where you can take up to 35 days of PTO annually
- 16 paid weeks for all parents (birthing and non-birthing), regardless of gender, to welcome newborns, adopted and foster children
- Various snacks, goodies, and 2 free lunches weekly when at the office
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization. With this foundation, we aim to build a social platform and global community for everyone to create, discover, and share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry and strive to develop an inclusive culture where individual contributions are valued. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, migration background, national origin, age, disability status, or care-giver status.
At SoundCloud you can find your community or elevate your allyship by joining a Diversity Resource Group (groups focused on people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, and women). You may also participate in inclusive workshops, contribute to our Cultural Moments series, select organizations for the SoundCloud Community Fund to support, and more!