VP, Business and Legal Affairs
At Warner Music Group we’re all about our people. Our global company is made up of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative individuals. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in each individual’s value and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing innovation – an integral part of our company's DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.
Job Title: Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs
A little bit about our team:
WMG Global Catalog/Rhino Entertainment is the catalog division of Warner Music Group responsible for advancing the legacy of Warner’s iconic artists and optimizing the performance of Warner’s catalog of recorded music. Rhino’s dynamic Business and Legal Affairs team share a passion for music and value hard work with a creative, problem solving mindset. We focus on innovative deals with and for WMG artists in areas of recorded music, brand licensing, and ancillary exploitation. We work cross-functionally with A&R, marketing, fan engagement, commerce, and finance to structure deals and further strong relationships with our artists. We also liaise with our sister labels Atlantic, Elektra and Warner Records as well as WMG’s corporate teams.
Why this could be your next big break:
You will be challenged to grow as an attorney, as an executive, and as a leader. You will be responsible for managing new deals and projects, and for providing counsel in connection with day-to-day operations and label activities. The broad range of legal issues and practice areas we encounter, will challenge you to build upon your prior experience handling artist signings and offer a unique opportunity to develop new areas of expertise. This position reports to the SVP, Head of Business and Legal Affairs.
Here you’ll get to:
- Negotiate and draft a variety of agreements related to recorded music rights (e.g. royalty deals, profits splits, and P&D agreements) in connection with superstar artists and others, and agreements related to merchandising rights, brand licensing, and non-traditional catalog artist projects, etc.
- Negotiate and draft agreements for master catalog acquisitions and royalty stream buyouts
- Work closely with Finance to develop deal analyses and evaluate potential deals
- Manage ongoing contractual relationships and handle a broad range of day-to-day business affairs matters relating to artists and projects
- Render general business and legal advice to all departments, including A&R, marketing, fan engagement, and commerce
- Help develop junior attorneys
- Knowledgeable and passionate about music
- JD plus admission to a U.S. state bar (California and/or New York preferred)
- 10 years experience with a minimum of 5+ years experience negotiating and drafting recording agreements and other agreements in connection with the acquisition and exploitation of intellectual property rights in the music business
- Strong working knowledge of copyright and contract law
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Skill in managing a high volume of projects while maintaining precision and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within a team-oriented environment
- Ability to meet deadlines consistently, and manage multiple projects effectively
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
- Record label experience and an understanding of historical business concepts found in legacy artist agreements
- Exposure to corporate transactions