Vice President, Sustainability
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers. Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
The Vice President of Sustainability & Stakeholder Relations will report to the Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy & Sustainability Officer. This person provides strategic leadership and oversight for Nutrien’s sustainability plan and Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) performance. This person has responsibility for aligning internal efforts as well as representing Nutrien externally the organization’s spokesperson with the aim of shaping a global pathway for Nutrien’s contributions to transforming and evolving agriculture. Success in this position means achieving a level of broader impact for Nutrien in our sector and in the global food and agriculture value chain. A high level of strategic judgement is required to advise and guide senior leaders and external stakeholders and effectively navigate and prioritize strategic actions and resources across unique and unprecedented situations and shifting external context, stakeholder expectations and ESG landscape.
What you will do:
- Accountable for developing and advancing progress on Nutrien’s sustainability plan throughout the global organization
- Accountable for effective ESG governance including the assessment and management of material ESG topics and the integration of ESG across the business including both corporate functions and business units. Ensure appropriate company positions and communications within sustainability framework. Provide sustainability and ESG expertise including key issues and macro trends and monitor internal and external sustainability information and choose future implications for Nutrien
- Cultivate organizational change and implementation of sustainability priorities through collaboration and joint ownership with other corporate functions and the business units. Provide direction and expertise on special projects where required (e.g. carbon program, inclusive agriculture)
- Responsible for informing and supporting the Nutrien Board on ESG related priorities, issues, and strategic challenges
- Develop relationships with and guide internal stakeholders to ensure strategic alignment and consistent sustainability messaging. Advise and influence internal and external subject matter professionals to ensure appropriate communications within sustainability framework
- Develop and lead external partnership efforts to deliver on Nutrien’s sustainability plan as well as expand new avenues for sustainability opportunities, including energy, emissions reductions, application of innovative technology in ag and opportunities related to inclusive agriculture
- This position is a primary contact and Nutrien representative on many external committees. This role serves as the primary contact and manages Nutrien’s partnerships with the World Economic Forum and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development and many other partnerships and corporate relationships – in excess of 50 external contacts
- Oversee ESG reporting and disclosure including the OneSource ESG data tool and its continual improvement and updating – and overall integration of ESG disclosure with annual filings
- Collaborate with Government & Industry Affairs team by providing leadership and information exchange with government agencies and legislators. Partner with Investor Relations in responding to Environmental, Social Governance (ESG) inquiries. Collaborate on the communication of sustainability efforts, internally and externally
- Demonstrate advanced leadership capabilities to guide, mentor and support a medium sized team to perform and deliver on ESG priorities and targets including issues management, sustainable agriculture, community relations, and community investment
What you will bring:
- Undergraduate/Bachelor’s Degree (4 year) business, agriculture, environmental science, or a related field; Master’s Degree preferred
- 15+ years of related experience preferably in an international and publicly traded company and with demonstrated progressive management and leadership skills including demonstrated ability to effectively lead a global team
- Broad understanding of business issues, metrics, organizational linkages, and shareholder value
- Expert knowledge of sustainability and ESG reporting, rankings and survey standards and expectations, climate issues climate science and targets
- Demonstrated experience in enhancing and influencing reputation with our stakeholders while meeting strategic objectives including sustainability and ESG commitments and targets
- Understanding of Nutrien business and stakeholders, agriculture business, and demonstrated ability to effectively guide key stakeholders within the industry and network of sustainability partners
- Outstanding public speaking and interpersonal skills are required, with the ability to effectively interact and communicate with executives, partners, global stakeholders and sustainability leaders, media, and government
- Ability to tolerate ambiguity, nascent global policy landscapes and take complex problems and collaboratively resolve them with both internal and external partners
- Skilled in leading collaboratively, with diplomacy, professionalism, and consensus-building. Demonstrated cross-functional experience and ability to lead and influence with leaders and cross-functional teams; able to react to different situations and emotions of others, including customers, employees, contractors, and others
- Expertise in climate issues and emissions reduction efforts and strategies
- Ability to travel as requirements for this role are extensive including several international engagements
- Ability to work under pressure, short timelines, and flexible hours
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary Range $292,500 - $341,250 USD annually. This range is estimated for Vice President, Sustainability & Stakeholder Relations role in Loveland, Colorado. Actual salary and benefits may differ based upon location.
We provide an attractive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision coverage, and life insurance and well as disability coverage for positions working more than 30 hours per week. In addition, we have a retirement program that encourages our employees to save for the longer term, with generous matching employer contributions. Our benefit package also demonstrates our culture of care with paid vacation, sick days and holidays as well as paid personal and maternity/parental leaves and an Employee and Family Assistance Program. Details of the benefits package will be shared in the application process.
In addition to base pay, this role is also eligible to participate in our annual incentive plan and long-term incentive plan, consistent with the terms of our plan(s), which provide discretionary award opportunities reflecting components such as performance of the company and the employee. Details will be discussed through the application process.
This information is provided in compliance with applicable state equal pay and pay equity legislation and is the company's good faith and reasonable estimate of the compensation range and benefits offered for this position. The compensation offered to the successful applicant may vary based on factors including experience, skills, education, location, and other job-related reasons. Nutrien also makes internal equity a consideration in all pay decisions.
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment and that proof of vaccination will be required, with minimal exceptions, unless prohibited by applicable law. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.