Vice President, Operations
Cronos Group is an innovative global cannabinoid company with international production and distribution across five continents. Cronos Group is committed to building disruptive intellectual property by advancing cannabis research, technology and product development. With a passion to responsibly elevate the consumer experience, Cronos Group is building an iconic brand portfolio. Cronos Group’s portfolio includes PEACE NATURALS™, a global health and wellness platform, adult-use brand Spinach™, and two hemp-derived CBD brands, Lord Jones™ and Happy Dance™.
At Cronos Group, we hire talented people who thrive on solving difficult problems and give them the opportunity to hone new skills and approaches. If you want to play a part in shaping an innovative industry and help build a historically significant company, we want to meet you.
The Vice President, Operations will be responsible for operational strategy and day-to-day activities and performance across the North American facilities. They will be responsible for optimizing manufacturing efficiency, cost of production and on-time delivery, as well as ensuring appropriate operations-related controls. Leading multiple teams and influencing across the business, the Vice President, Operations will develop, implement, and continuously improve Cronos Group operational strategies to meet both short-term and long-term business objectives.
The role reports to the Chief Growth Officer and will be focused on reviewing the operational functions to ensure processes, people and facilities are aligned with the business unit strategy, to support the organization as it continues to scale-up. It will require someone who is prepared to roll-their sleeves up and to be very hands-on initially, as they build out the team over time.
Scope of role: Direct Reports include Supply Chain, Operations, Quality, and Procurement
What you’ll be doing:
- Build, maintain and oversee strategies and programs that drive operational efficiencies and process improvements to support standardization across all facilities
- Oversee daily operations and performance for all locations across North America
- Lead and execute manufacturing operations in a manner which is consistent with the business plans and which drive to achieve and surpass sales, profit, cash flow, and business goals
- Develop, maintain and ensure operations-related controls are in-place and in adherence to the requirements for publicly traded companies
- Implement, oversee and be accountable for the company’s quality control standard operating practices and procedures for its overall product lines Identify new ways to efficiently produce products while also eliminating waste in the manufacturing process
- Develop a North American supply chain strategy to support business growth and enhancing logistics capabilities while improving the bottom line
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, accountability, efficiency, bottom line results, effective employee relations and constant communication up and down within the organization
- Work with global shared services to integrate support functions with the manufacturing locations, utilizing matrix structures to ensure collaboration
- Works closely with finance and legal/risk, to advance project management tools such as project status reports, ensuring the design meets business requirements and proper deployment and utilization within the business model
- Ensure the organization is versatile, adaptable, and responsive to customer requirements, problems, opportunities, and a changing marketplace
- Drive annual business plans and operating budgets and forecasts.
- Regularly analyze production results to ensure that all phases of operations meet or exceed acceptable standards
- Navigate between strategy and operational execution – roll up up your sleeves and get into the weeds
- Evaluate new technology and recommend and manage capital expenditures.
- Review practices and procedures, and effect improvements.
- Recommend the introduction of new products as appropriate given market conditions.
- Motivate and lead a high-performance management team.
- Develop and groom leadership talent and bench strength to position for expansion through organic growth and acquisition Instill an operating culture which prioritizes safety, inspires cooperation, provides employees with opportunities for growth and development, and operates at the highest level of professional and ethical values supporting fair and equitable treatment of all employees
- Eliminate waste and apply LEAN principles wherever applicable.
- Develop operational measures and KPI’s and track KPIs to improve safety, quality, on-time delivery, and costs.
- Support the business to improve operational performance through new strategies, systems, and operational excellence tools. For this, conduct in-depth analysis to streamline the operations and create greater stability
- Provide input to Chief Growth officer in the areas of long-term planning, strategic direction, operational planning, and budgetary requirements
- Champion a safety-focused work environment to reduce/eliminate work-related accidents and injuries.
- Work closely with Labour Relations on Health and Safety policies and procedures. Update practices in accordance with new or changing environmental policies, standards, regulations or laws
- Follow all company safety policies and procedures and organize work areas for efficiency and safety
- Respond to change productively, navigate ambiguity, and handle other duties as required.
- Provide strategic direction, vision, and leadership to direct reports including coaching, mentoring, and developing, encourage teamwork and cooperation cross functionally
- Embraces a culture of change by authentically communicating the benefits, encouraging two-way communication, building an understanding of the change process and effectively addressing questions/concerns
- Conduct yearly performance evaluations in cooperation with functional leaders
- Confer with senior management, direct reports, and other personnel to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals or objectives
- Drives team to achieve established goals in proactive and pragmatic manner; adjusts the plan of action accordingly to maneuver obstacles and achieve success
What you’ll need to have:
- Ten plus years’ of senior operational leadership experience required with multi-site production leadership and supply chain
- Related Bachelor’s degree in business management or related field
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically while balancing the need to move between strategic and tactical responsibilities
- Broad business knowledge and focus, ability to recognize issues, problems and capitalize on opportunities
- Sufficient gravitas, integrity, presence, and collaborative leadership strengths to inspire a common vision and trust amongst employees, local communities and stakeholders and governmental/regulatory officials
- Exceptional interpersonal skills reflecting the ability to inspire teamwork, confidence, and cooperation
- Experience working in complex matrix structures within a global organization that utilizes regional business units.
- Experience and expertise in public company operations controls including physical inventory controls and other SOX controls Knowledgeable in the interactions and integrations of operations and quality assurance functions. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas clearly, facilitates discussions and reaches agreement and consensus on difficult issues
- Experience in developing a strategic plan for the operational functions which aligns with corporate strategies and an ability to clearly articulate such a vision
- Proven experience using data (KPIs) in a measurable way to achieve a specific strategic result that is relevant to overall strategy
- Able to work collaboratively with a communication style that is direct and transparent
- A strategic thinker, problem-solver and effective project manager of cross-functional teams who is comfortable with rolling up one’s sleeves and being hands-on
- Able to communicate recommendations in a logical and easily understood manner to C- level executives, and employees at all levels
- Natural problem-solver; figuring out how to make processes, systems, functions, and experiences better Experience as a change agent building high- performing teams in complex and rapidly changing environments with high levels of ambiguity preferred
- Detail-oriented, excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills, able to multitask and to meet multiple, often conflicting deadlines
- Proven track record of driving best practices, improving productivity and profitability throughout operations with leading-edge management practices, innovative use of technology, cost reduction strategies and high-quality investment decisions
- Exhibit a strong understanding of Business Improvement methodology and Value Maximization principles.
- Experience in operating and capital budgeting with strong cost management skills; knowledge and understanding of financial controls
- Demonstrated ability to achieve production and cost targets safely and efficiently
- A track record of success in managing, mentoring, coaching, and directing employees; experience developing staff and promoting business growth within the organization
- Enforce strong safety and environmental standards
- Possesses analytical and problem-solving skillsets
- Strong focus on cost control, productivity, and yield
- Capable of providing leadership on strategic capital planning
- Acquainted with asset risk management tools
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.