Vice President of Engineering
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Vice President of Engineering, SRE. The Vice President of Engineering, SRE leads the organization that drives reliability, operations and efficiency via software that is automatic not just automated across Twilio through focused execution, effective collaboration and influence across product groups. This leader will be accountable for defining, measuring, and executing on the company’s software and engineering operations playbook while leveraging best of breed industry solutions and practices.
In this role, you’ll:
- Define, develop and drive the SRE playbook for Twilio’s most critical infrastructure and operations at scale. What this hire designs and executes will affect every Software Engineer at Twilio and is mission-critical to the success of the business.
- Lead and grow a global organization of best-in-class SREs.
- Identify and qualify new products, services, and processes to improve site reliability, performance engineering, incident management, and observability solutions.
- Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and have significant exposure to our executive leadership.
- Lead all aspects of site reliability and performance engineering and collaborate with incident management, and observability team to guide all of Twilio R&D to world class quality, performance and reliability.
- Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in evaluating opportunities, measuring progress, and holding your organization and others accountable for delivering a world class customer experience.
- Work closely with senior leadership and all product teams to enable our engineers to ship fast with confidence, while ensuring the efficient use of resources and providing an amazing customer experience, even in times of crisis.
- You can be a Twilio technical ambassador, a recognized leader in reliability, quality, sustainability, and operational excellence
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 10+ years of hands on software engineering and engineering management experience, preferably delivering a highly scalable service with billions of daily transactions
- 10 years of operational experience, running large scale distributed systems such as Kubernetes and related systems
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, EE or equivalent experience required.
- Proven track record of setting and meeting aggressive goals
- Proven experience in building, launching and operating complex distributed systems at scale
- Extensive experience providing technical direction to teams and stakeholders and aligning organizational priorities
- Demonstrated success mentoring engineering leaders cross-organizationally
- Experience managing and growing teams of software engineers spanning multiple geographies
- Proven track record of balancing long-term critical thinking with tactical execution of multiple development plans
- High-growth technology company experience, ideally in a platform company that has scaled to hundreds of millions of users
- Highly analytical with the ability to translate between strategic business decisions and their quantitative implications
- Ability to think critically and objectively; excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands
- Rigorous, great organizational skills, comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans
- Excellent communication and social skills, ability to be personable yet persistent
This role will be based remote or based in one of our global offices.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $300,000- $360,000
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.