Vice President of Engineering
OpenGov is looking for an experienced engineering leader to lead our Global Budgeting & Planning (B&P) engineering organization. B&P is the flag-ship product within the OpenGov ERP Cloud. The B&P engineering team is exceptionally talented, globally distributed, and growing. Where this team and product goes the rest of OpenGov typically follows.
We are looking for a strategic leader to coach, develop and lead a world-class engineering organization that embodies our mission and our customer first ethos. We value operational excellence, and a focus on our customers’ experience.
The successful candidate will be an experienced technical leader with domain knowledge in building scaled, distributed architecture, and multi-tenant SaaS ERP, FP&A or comparable enterprise products. You are operationally strong, and have a proven track record of delivery and organizational development. You will have experience scaling organizations and engineering in a fast changing, complex environment. From a leadership perspective you should be comfortable guiding an organization through change and driving a technical vision. Hiring and developing high-performing engineering directors, managers, and teams is an area where you possess both experience and a passion.
What you will be doing:
- Grow, develop, scale and lead a high-performance, globally distributed engineering organization.
- Hire and develop senior leaders and managers.
- Work with product management, design, and all OpenGov application teams to drive a roadmap that delivers great customer value and an exceptional customer experience.
- Own the overall development plan for our largest Suite, as well as oversight and ownership of our largest production service (We are a modern CI/CD organization where our engineering teams “own what they build”). Accordingly, this position enjoys robust and regular executive team interactions.
- Provide organizational and technical leadership across broad technical areas including distributed systems, databases, APIs, reporting and analytics.
- Champion and evangelize the architectural vision while driving technical delivery in an incremental fashion.
- Drive engineering and operational rigor, apply best practices and processes.
- Drive our engineering culture so every team member deeply cares about team velocity, quality, trust, recruiting, and delighting our customers.
- Coach, mentor and develop your staff of engineers and managers of all levels.
- Attract and recruit top senior engineering talent to continue building and delivering a high value B&P product that differentiates our OpenGov ERP Cloud.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to drive business outcomes by working with application development teams, support, professional services, and sales teams.
- 10+ years of experience managing a high performing engineering team in a rapidly growing environment.
- Strong technical background that includes cloud technologies, distributed systems, web technologies, contemporary data technologies.
- Experiences with these areas are relevant to this role - budgeting / planning, reporting, analytics, and ERP type suites or reporting.
- A strong foundation in multi-tenant SaaS architecture and experience in building and delivering product capabilities to internal and external customers.
- A solid understanding of CI/CD, build and quality processes.
- You have the ability to formulate and articulate strategy and vision effectively to senior leadership and translate that into an actionable roadmap for your team to execute.
- You have excellent communication skills to engage at all levels of the company including technical and non-technical audiences.
- You are well versed in building and shipping software that has high quality, performance, scalability, reliability and security.
- You have experience designing and shaping your organization for continuous improvement and evolution in a rapidly changing and growing environment.
- You have great collaborative interpersonal skills, enjoy and thrive in a diverse environment.
- You have great verbal and written communication skills and are a good listener.
- You are skilled in long-term planning and ensuring tight execution
- You can also work under tight deadlines while being flexible and responsive to changing business and technical conditions.
- A history of strong leadership to drive recruiting, growing and retaining engineering organizations at scale with team members who are distributed across the globe.
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science or closely related field preferred (Graduate Degree in Computer Science or related field is a plus).
What makes OpenGov unique
- Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs and SF Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
- Funding: $140 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and Emerson Collective. Click here to read more about our latest round of funding!
- Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
- Growth: Double growth with 1,000+ governments (and counting) using our products!
- Culture: Winner of 2021 Top Workplaces USA award, Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
- Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
- Product: Named a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, we are the leader in cloud ERP software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
- Mission Driven: We are a technology company helping out our communities, cities, and states. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.