Vice President, Marketing
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
Develop, oversee implementation, and evaluate the organization’s marketing strategy. Accountable for reaching or exceeding attendance and ticket revenue goals. Responsible for protecting and promoting the Aquarium’s reputation among a growing and diverse audience. Through coaching, team building, and strategic counsel, ensure that paid media and outbound channels, brand and design, earned media and communications, marketing operations, and content strategy all serve to further the revenue and mission goals of the Aquarium. Collaborate closely with other Divisions to achieve strategic Aquarium objectives, especially with IT, Conservation & Science, Membership and Development, and Education. Perform other duties as required.
- Develop the strategy and oversee the implementation of an integrated marketing and communications plan across paid, earned, and owned media to support the organization’s strategic goals.
- Ensure continued success in attracting projected number of paid visitors per year
- Work in collaboration with others to grow new earned revenue channels
- Maintain reputation, trust, and top of mind scores
- Provide clarity and focus to messaging, ensuring execution across channels leads to measurable outcomes in audiences served by content
- Lead the annual and long-term strategic planning process for Marketing and ensure short- and long-term departmental goals and objectives are defined, communicated, and met.
- Lead the organization’s digital engagement strategy, including collaborating with IT on tools for execution and evaluation.
- Plan and measure effectiveness of digital strategy in advancing mission and revenue goals.
- Refine plan so it is customer-centric and relevant.
- With guidance from Aquarium leadership, direct the public response to any potential or actual crisis at the Aquarium, including those that threaten reputation and image. Oversee the maintenance of a crisis communications plan consistent with the Aquarium’s Emergency Response Plan.
- Analyze and evaluate existing and potential marketing activities and strategies. Develop benchmark criteria to measure the efficiency and effectiveness and report results to the Chief Marketing Officer and other staff as required.
- Drive research agenda for market research as well of use of first party customer data and other evaluation methods required to ensure Marketing’s work is having the desired impact.
- Develop and manage the Marketing budget, in collaboration with marketing operations staff.
- Recruit and manage leaders of all marketing functions to support the development and execution of the strategy. Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, establish priorities, set objectives, and assign accountabilities.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in a related field (e.g., Marketing, Communications); master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years experience in professional marketing and communications
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience
- Advanced knowledge of multiple creative disciplines, including brand strategy, design, and content creation
- Experience leading teams and stakeholders to adopt new processes and procedures
- Ability to promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Strong team building, organization, communication, facilitation, and active listening skills
- Strong analytical skills and proven ability to apply them to strategic thinking and visioning for an organization
- Proven ability to remain calm under pressure while flexing and adapting to changing circumstances
- Proven ability to work effectively and efficiently under multiple, competing deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively, diplomatically, honestly, and sensitively with all levels of management and staff
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and creativity in planning and problem solving
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- B2B and B2C experience preferred
- Experience leading internal communications a plus
- Ability to work within and maintain Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Core Values
Annual Compensation Range:
$159,400-$204,000 USD annually. Starting rate will vary based on previous experience and relevant skills/knowledge set.
- Associates or better.
- Bachelors or better.
- High School or better.
- Masters or better.