Vice President, Legal
BlackRock is searching for an experienced credit and leveraged finance transactional attorney who will provide legal coverage of transactions and investments across the BlackRock credit investment platform, including loan origination, private placement and 144A notes issuances and special situations. The role will have key responsibility for supporting investment professionals across all investment platforms in private and semi-private credit transactions, including, without limitation, (i) origination of, and modifications to, direct lending, mezzanine debt, venture debt, senior secured financings, subordinated debt, unitranche financings, corporate credit solutions, back leverage transactions, holdco notes, LBO sponsor financing, and other complex public and private debt transactions and (ii) wall crossings, regulatory advice in relation to fund structures and implementation of internal policies. The ideal candidate must have the ability to coordinate complex projects and transactions involving different business groups and multiple products and stakeholders.
- Act as internal legal subject matter expert and transaction counsel on investments with a focus on US Credit investments, manage transaction execution, and review and negotiate full range of investment documentation.
- Review, draft and negotiate credit and special situations investment documentation including loan and security documentation, bond documentation, private placement agreements, intercreditor documentation (including AALs), sale and purchase agreements, offering documents, subscription agreements, non-disclosure agreements, letters of intent, term sheets and other similar transactional documentation.
- Manage outside counsel review of all investment documentation and oversee outside counsel with respect to investments generally.
- Coordinate and work with global business teams, product attorneys, compliance, tax, and operations teams regarding various credit, lending and special situations investments and portfolio management activity for US Private Capital, Global Credit Opportunities, Fixed Income and other product strategies.
- Provide advice and support to internal stakeholders to develop, establish and improve internal processes relating to investments.
- Coordinate with compliance teams with respect to information barriers, restricted list reviews, inside information, thresholds and other regulatory coverage areas.
- Analyze and manage a variety of regulatory issues affecting the BlackRock investment platform, including the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Investment Company Act of 1940, Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, Dodd Frank Act, etc.
- Take initiative to identify and analyze problems, generate alternative solutions and make decisions with little direction/supervision.
- A J.D. with superior academic credentials from a nationally-recognized law school and seven to ten years' experience as a lawyer in a major law firm or the legal department of an asset manager, investment bank or other leading organization (or any combination thereof).
- Significant experience in lending and finance transactions, specifically direct lending and opportunistic credit.
- Strong technical legal and commercial skills.
- Experience advising fund managers and non-bank institutions as lenders or investors is a plus.
- Ability to oversee and effectively manage outside counsel and internal stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with others and manage multiple time sensitive matters in a demanding, fast-paced and fluid environment.
- Motivated team player with ability to work independently and potential to lead as necessary.
- Ability to take initiative to anticipate, identify and analyze issues, generate potential solutions and make decisions with little direction/supervision.
- Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, written and oral communication skills – must be able to resolve complex issues in a practical manner on a compressed timeline and to communicate complex concepts in an understandable way.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – presents ideas in a clear, concise and constructive manner.
For California only the salary range for this position is $175,750 – $225,000. Additionally, employees are eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, and benefits including heath care, leave benefits, and retirement benefits. BlackRock operates a pay-for-performance compensation philosophy and your total compensation may vary based on role, location, and firm, department and individual performance.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week; some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. Beginning in September, all employees will shift to at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person – aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.