Vice President Human Resources
Who We Are
What makes Discovery Education a GREAT fit for you? We are the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms, and we partner with districts, states, and like-minded organizations to provide teachers with customized solutions that support the success of all learners. When you join the Discovery Education team, you become part of a fast-growing global organization that is empowering educators with the digital tools and professional learning they need to connect students to the real-world.
For candidates interested in taking their next career step in the educational technology space, Discovery Education offers the fast pace and excitement of working for a startup, the support of an established organization, and the opportunity to be on the front lines of innovation in an industry that is always growing and transforming. Team members enjoy a high-energy, purpose-driven work environment — as well as tremendous opportunities to grow, learn and make a difference. We are an organization focused on diversity and inclusivity that provides opportunities to engage with people from variety of backgrounds. If you like working with a curious, collaborative, high-performing team, Discovery Education is the place for you.
Living Our Values
Discovery Education is a company that lives and breathes its Values. By doing so, we position our organization to continue leading the education technology world.
- INNOVATION: We drive a culture of innovation within our organization and with our partners to prepare leaders of tomorrow.
- CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: We commit to continuous improvement by anticipating and adapting to the changing needs of our partners and the educational landscape.
- EMPOWERMENT: We empower all learners by providing highly engaging, relevant experiences our partners’ trust.
- INTEGRITY: We hold ourselves to the highest-standards and conduct ourselves with integrity in all that we do.
- COMMUNITY: We connect and support our global community of learners.
- INCLUSIVITY: We strive to build a company with people from diverse backgrounds, so we can better enable all learners to reach their highest potential regardless of race, gender, socio-economic standing, sexual orientation, language, ability, location, or technology.
What You’ll Do
The Discovery Education Human Resources team seeks a high-energy, high-potential individual to be a key member of our team. The Vice President, Human Resources will partner with the Chief Human Resources Officer in leading the HR team in managing day to day activities, supporting business partners and employees, and driving various HR strategic initiatives. The role requires the ability and willingness to complete daily responsibilities in a proactive and collaborative way, supporting our leadership team and employees. This is a player/coach role where you will have your own responsibilities as well as provide guidance and support to other members of the team in fulfilling their responsibilities. This position will be based out of Discovery Education's Charlotte, NC office and will report to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Partner with CHRO to develop and implement a comprehensive HR strategy to support the global business and our employees in the US and UK, and additional countries that may be added in the future.
- Partner with CHRO and Human Resources team to design and deliver programs that support the HR strategy and the business.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Human Resources team in partnering with business leaders to develop and drive talent outcomes and implement business and people strategies in performance management, employee relations, organizational design, career development, employee engagement and retention.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Human Resources team in supporting employees in benefits, compensation, policies and procedures, talent development, and employee relations.
- Partner with leader of Talent Acquisition team in serving as a strategic partner to the business, proactively identifying and fulfilling talent acquisition needs and providing training and resources to help managers make good hiring decisions.
- Serve as a mentor to members of the HR team and guide their personal career development
- Identify areas for operational improvement and efficiency within the Human Resources function and design and implement corrective measures to improve processes, reporting, policies, etc.
- Develop and administer various programs to meet employee needs and drive high levels of employee engagement that foster an environment that encourages open and productive interactions.
- Proactively engage with leaders across the organization and build relationships to become a trusted advisor who is sought out to provide guidance before problems arise.
- Lead efforts to support employees in a remote and hybrid working environment.
- Communicate and serve as a resource for managers and employees at all levels for HR programs, practices and processes.
- Help drive HR strategic initiatives related to merger & acquisition activity, diversity & inclusion, employee engagement, talent development, compensation and policies.
- Advise management and employees on interpreting and applying company policies and procedures. Stay current with changes in employment law and emerging trends; work with the Legal team to ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure operational excellence and effective HR service delivery and serve as a back-up for all HR areas.
Who You Are
The perfect candidate for this role will be a true Human Resources Generalist with broad-based leadership experience across the HR function, including benefits, compensation, performance management, talent development, HRIS, employee relations and employee engagement.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or a business-related field or equivalent work experience.
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification preferred.
- 15+ years of experience in HR with a generalist background, preferably in the technology sector.
- 10+ years of experience in an HR leadership role, leading an HR team, building key relationships with senior business leaders and serving as a trusted advisor to employees and leaders.
- Ability to engender trust and confidence and become a sought out resource.
- Experience building out the infrastructure of a Human Resources function, including policies and processes.
- Experience supporting employees living and working outside the US.
- Experience collaborating with a team to accomplish results.
- Extensive knowledge of HR practices and principles and applicable labor, pay, and benefits laws and regulations.
- Experience as a player/coach with ability to lead others and respond to questions and requests for information, while also balancing own workload and priorities.
- Positive leadership style with a focus on coaching and mentoring others in a supportive and collaborative team environment.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with multiple competing priorities.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong influencing, facilitation, presentation and communication skills required.
- Ability to modify and adjust individual approach and delivery to fit specific situations.
- Ability to work independently and exercise discretion.
- Ability to handle a high level of confidentiality regarding employee information.
- Excellent written and oral communication as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic driven by a sense of urgency and exceptional organizational skills.
- Positive, solution-oriented team player with the ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Driven self-starter who is proactive with the ability to work autonomously to set priorities and lead others in achieving results.
- Experience with HRIS systems; ADP Workforce Now preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Experience with SharePoint and Microsoft Teams preferred.
- Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations.
- Have a demonstrated ability to understand, accept and engage with people of diverse backgrounds.
- A sense of humor because we all need to laugh sometimes.
- Legal right to work in the United States.
Discovery Education is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery Education is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.