Vice President, Green Hydrogen Origination
South Houston, TX
Salt Lake City, UT
At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
At AES, we are accelerating the future of energy. Our core values are Safety First, Highest Standards, and All Together. We are seeking outstanding individuals to join our team. We believe that a diverse, inclusive work force where all people demonstrate empathy and work together collaboratively will give us the best opportunity to achieve our purpose and business objectives.
AES has recently formed a new business unit focused on green hydrogen. Leveraging our industry leading capabilities to develop, commercialize, construct and operate renewable energy facilities, AES is now investing in the production of electrolytic green hydrogen. Our ambition is to develop, commercialize, construct and operate a portfolio of electrolysis facilities that produce green hydrogen and advance the decarbonization goals of our customers. In the green hydrogen business unit, we are building core functional teams focused on origination, project development, technical capabilities, and market development.
This Vice President position will be responsible for US origination efforts for green hydrogen. She/he will lead a growing team whose mandate is to engage and ultimately execute supply contracts with potential green hydrogen customers across the United States. This role will report to the Head of the US Green Hydrogen business and can be located in any AES office in the U.S. (Salt Lake City, UT; Louisville, CO; Houston, TX; Arlington, VA, etc).
- Leading a broad customer discovery process to engage with all potential customers for green hydrogen (or green hydrogen derivatives like ammonia, methanol, etc)
- Developing strong customer relationships and networks that lead to profitable offtake opportunities for AES’s U.S. green hydrogen business.
- Engaging creatively and constructively with customers interested in green hydrogen or its derivatives and successfully executing supply contracts with those customers.
- Working collaboratively with other members of the hydrogen team and AES Clean Energy team to build a pipeline of green hydrogen projects across the United States. Pipeline development should be customer driven, with an eye to minimizing the levelized cost of hydrogen.
- Becoming an industry leader and spokesperson for green hydrogen’s role in decarbonization
- Willingness and ability to travel 20% on average but more as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Outstanding customer origination capabilities with established track record of working with customers to deliver energy / infrastructure solutions that meet their needs.
- 15+ years of experience in energy, power (renewable and / or thermal), hydrogen, industrial gasses, or a related field.
- Track record and ability to negotiate a profitable, value generating energy supply agreement.
- Exemplifies a culture of safety, trust, inclusiveness, highest standards, and “all together”
- Strong interest in and understanding of the global green hydrogen landscape, including supply, demand, unit economics, major players, regional advantages, etc.
- Strong interest in and understanding of the US power markets.
- “Founders mentality” to successfully launch a new business unit. Strong intellectual curiosity and capacity to learn quickly about an evolving, high growth sector.
- “Player/Coach mentality”. Ability to build, inspire, and lead a team to success; but also willingness and capability to roll up your sleeves, get deep into the details, and do what it takes to get the job done.
- Leadership presence to engage with internal and external stakeholders.
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.The expected salary for this position, at commencement of employment, is between $200.000 and $340.000/Annual; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements such as annual bonus, in addition to a full range of medical, dental, vision, life, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if a candidate receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.Safety comes first at AES. To protect the health and safety of our people, customers, communities and partners, and to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, AES requires all newly-hired people or current AES people applying for U.S.-based role(s), to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their date of hire. Except where prohibited by law or not specifically covered in a collective bargaining agreement, new hires and transfers will be required to provide proof of vaccination during onboarding and periodically thereafter. This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities, as applicable.