Vice President – Government Affairs & Policy
Verano Holdings is a national, vertically integrated operator of licensed cannabis cultivation, manufacturing, and retail facilities.
This role focuses on legislative, regulatory, and policy initiatives across the nation by working cross-functionally with the compliance, legal, finance, and operations departments to understand the company’s global regulatory and policy goals. Qualified individuals will demonstrate several years of high-level experience in state and federal government relations, with a specific background in policy formulation and legislative strategy in a highly regulated industry.
A demonstrated track record in drafting legislation, leading policy initiatives through trade associations and lobbying efforts, and overseeing government and public relations for national organizations in a highly regulated industry is required. The ideal candidate must have strong organizational skills, be able to work collaboratively to oversee multiple projects at once and use analytical skills to solve complex problems under rigorous timelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct legislative research, draft legislative summaries, track policy discussions, and report on updates impacting the company’s overall strategic objectives.
- Draft legislative policy to support business initiatives in various markets across the nation.
- Build relationships with local, state, and federal politicians, lobbyists, business leaders, and other industry stakeholders.
- Serve as a leader in trade associations to drive policy initiatives and support business objectives.
- Review new statutes and regulations, provide summaries, and assist relevant stakeholders with implementation and incorporation into business operations.
- Assist with municipal zoning and local community hearings for new expansion projects.
- Draft RFP materials and help coordinate application process for market expansion and new rounds of cannabis license issuances.
- Help support the company’s social equity, inclusion, and diversity efforts.
- Assist with corporate strategy and provide regulatory guidance for M&A and other licensing initiatives.
- Monitor changes to cannabis laws, regulations, and industry guidance in various state and municipalities.
- Work closely with compliance and operational stakeholders to implement regulatory changes into standard operation procedures and general business objects.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Juris Doctorate or master’s degree in public policy or related field strongly preferred.
- A minimum 5-7 years’ progressive government and regulatory affairs experience in highly regulated industry preferred.
- Specific experience in the cannabis industry is a plus.
- Ability and willingness to regularly travel to facilities throughout the U.S. required.
Physical and Mental Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position, move and/or position oneself, communicate, operate and/or prepare, place, position objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally move packages weighing up to 10 lb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close observation and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
Verano Holdings is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We place priority in an environment of inclusion, diversity, and social justice and are committed to securing a better, brighter way forward for our employees, our markets, and our communities.