Vice President, Engineering
StravaSan Francisco, CA, Denver, CO, Remote (USA)6 days ago
Strava is the leading social platform for athletes and the largest sports community in the world, with over 85 million athletes in 195 countries. If you sweat you’re an athlete, and Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day.
We're excited to grow our Engineering team with the addition of a Vice President of Engineering. This is a new position we are adding to the team as a result of significant recent growth! The Vice President of Engineering will report to our Chief Technology Officer and be responsible for Strava’s Product, Platform, and Foundation Engineering groups. Our Engineering team is currently comprised of 90+ engineers and supported by four Engineering Directors, and this role will be responsible for leading and supporting Strava’s Engineering team through our next stage of growth.
Strava is passionate about supporting each of our employees by building equitable and inclusive policies, programs, and practices. It is important that our Vice President of Engineering shares similar passions and is committed to helping incorporate antiracist strategies and policies into our culture and processes over time.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
Lead the next growth stage for Strava Engineering as we scale our team by:
- Partnering with product development leaders on organizational vision, team structures and charters, headcount planning, and staffing allocations in support of Strava’s product and business goals.
- Collaborating with Strava’s talent team to develop skilled and diverse pipelines for all teams and roles. Increase Stava’s technical capacity through hiring, training, and development of the skills and competencies needed to support our product and technology vision.
Support the growth and development of a highly talented team and an inclusive, collaborative, and antiracist culture by:
- Collaborating with Strava’s People team to evolve engineering career pathways, ladders, and development systems with an eye toward equity for engineers from traditionally underrepresented and marginalized groups.
- Investing in leadership and management development to scale our leadership capacity at every level of the organization.
- Fostering an inclusive and collaborative culture, and leading as a defender and champion of Strava’s antiracism commitment.
Collaborate with Strava’s leadership team to support planning, execution, and delivery of fun and engaging experiences for an athlete community that is rapidly approaching 100 million members by:
- Maintaining high standards for product quality and developer productivity as Strava’s athlete community and product development organization grows.
- Balancing investment across development of new experiences, maintenance of existing experiences, foundational infrastructure, and internal tooling.
- Owning release delivery cadences and processes, including quality assurance, localization pipelines, feature rollout capabilities, alpha/beta programs, and app store releases.
- Fostering a culture of operational excellence including 24/7 operational support of all of Strava’s products and services.
You will be successful here by:
- Building strong relationships and empathy for your cross-functional leadership partners, and working to align strategy and goals across functions so that Strava’s entire team can work in unison to serve our global community of athletes.
- Supporting, empowering, and giving space to Engineering leaders to grow in their careers through more impactful contributions to Strava.
- Partnering closely with Strava’s Chief Technology Officer to ensure that our long term technology strategy and roadmap is well aligned with product team strategies and roadmaps.
- Actively engaging in Strava’s antiracism commitment by contributing to progress and change across our workplace environment, our organizational structure, and our product experience.
- Helping Strava’s engineering team identify and excel in areas where we need to be great, while also kindly and gracefully saying “No” to lower priority ideas that might distract us from achieving our goals.
We’re excited about you because:
- You have experience leading and supporting 100+ engineer organizations through rapid, transformative growth.
- You have engineering leadership experience with a meaningful scope of responsibility at a later stage private growth and/or IPO stage company.
- You have a story to tell about how the challenging year of 2020, the global pandemic, and the rise of conversations about racial equity and social justice in the workplace have influenced how you lead.
- You have supported and championed impactful DEI efforts in an engineering leadership role.
- You have an ability and passion for cross functional collaboration with other departments, providing support to organizational planning and execution.
- You have a capacity to learn and understand the effects and impact of your decisions over long timeframes. While we do not have a specific number of years of experience that we expect in this role, we do expect that you have had enough time and experience in senior leadership roles to truly understand how your decisions affect the team and company.
- You have a growth mindset, passion for learning, and willingness to change and adapt your own perspective when collaborating with teammates who bring different backgrounds, perspectives, and expertise.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.