Vice President, Energy & Utilities Connected Smart Systems
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Clara, CA
Thanks to our superior edge technologies for compute, connectivity and security, Qualcomm has a unique advantage to bring the Energy and Utilities industry to the Intelligence Edge, accelerating the journey towards a more responsible and sustainable way to power our communities while protecting our planet and our people for generations to come.
We are looking for a passionate, inspiring and capable leader to help us build and grow this new business for Qualcomm, anticipating the needs and building the solutions required in a new era for the Energy and Utilities industry.
Qualcomm is the company bringing data processing and intelligence to the edge, enabling cloud-edge convergence. We will drive the transformation of industries and growth of the digital economy by powering the billions of smart connected devices at the edge, utilizing our One Technology Roadmap, with leadership in wireless connectivity, high-performance, low-power computing, and on-device AI.
About the Connected Smart Systems (CSS)
Industrial IoT has the largest available SAM for Qualcomm, but the market is extremely fragmented. We are seeing growth potential of Connected Smart Systems in multiple segments and in the coming years we will deliver a best-in-class technology roadmap to accelerate the Connected Intelligent Edge globally, focusing on the following platforms:
Industrial & Automation Building & Enterprise Retail & Payments Tracking & Logistics Energy & Utilities
And we will win by expanding our value proposition beyond hardware with a framework to enable us to deliver software and solutions to integrate silicon, connectivity and cloud.
About the Energy & Utilities Smart Systems Business
Qualcomm’s superior edge technologies for compute, connectivity, security, and AI are foundational for solutions that can be deployed across the energy value chain. Here are some of the solutions that can be deployed across the grid:
- Transmission Substation Gateway – based on QC Premium tier SD. A multi-purpose platform for running real-time grid applications for monitoring, protection, and control.
- Distribution Substation Gateway – based on QC Premium tier SD. A multi-purpose platform for running real-time grid applications for monitoring, protection, and control, AMI aggregation, renewables integration, power quality monitoring, etc.
- Edge gateways for wind farm integration, wind farm SCADA, connection to IOT sensors for wind farm equipment health monitoring, wind farm generation forecasting, etc.
- Building energy gateway – an edge gateway based on QC premium tier SD to continuously monitor energy usage in the building, learn the consumption patterns, and adjust usage based on grid conditions, market prices, and user preference.
- Microgrid controller – an edge gateway based on QC premium tier SD with the ability to balance load, generation, and storage in an isolated microgrid for continuous supply of power even when the larger grid has failed.
- DER Controller – an edge gateway based on QC premium tier SD to control the output of large distributed energy resources, e.g., storage sites and on-site generation, in response to grid conditions, market prices, and owner/operator’s command for revenue from providing ancillary services, capacity services, flexibility, etc. to the grid operator.
Meters & Sensors
- Next generation smart meters with on-board compute capability to host applications for load disaggregation and profiling.
- Smart sensors for distribution grid asset health monitoring of poles, low-voltage transformers, capacitors, etc.
- Smart sensors based on QC MDM chipsets for remote asset health monitoring in transmission network.
- Distribution Phasor Measurement Unit – a high bandwidth, low-latency sensor for measuring phasors in the distribution network used for state estimation, outage detection, protection, and control.
Optimizations via Digitalization and Automation
- Grid-interactive flexible demand – adding 2-way communication capability to smart loads to enable interaction with the grid. Loads will be able to respond to price signals to adjust their energy usage based on user’s preference and market prices.
- Solar PV integration with embedded compute to control the real and reactive power output of the solar panel via a smart inverter according to grid conditions and utility commands.
- Remote-guided drones for intelligent asset inspection of transmission lines, wind turbines, transmission towers, substations, etc.
- AR-VR Goggles for field technicians to access contextually-rich real-time content for field maintenance, repairs, and diagnostics.
- Machine vision for a wide range of applications such as vegetation management, physical security, equipment health and condition monitoring, etc.
- A collection of cloud services by QC to provide raw data, and edge analytics in the cloud and make it available to 3rd parties such as utilities, energy service providers, equipment manufacturers, grid service providers, consumers, and others.
Key role expectations
- As part of the CSS leadership, lead the business vision and strategy for the Energy & Utilities business, including thought leadership, segmentation, goals, business model and value chain.
- Understand and anticipate partner needs and drive product roadmap to enable maximum value creation.
- Collaborate with global commercial teams to identify key markets, partners and customers and their specific needs, define engagement models, channels, and sales coverage & capacity to ensure GTM resources are optimized across regions and teams.
- Collaborate with global commercial teams to consistently meet or exceed revenue expectations.
- Be a strategic thought partner for Qualcomm leadership for all matters related to Energy & Utilities, a subject matter expert for internal stakeholders across BUs and regions, and a reference in the industry to represent Qualcomm externally and positively influence our reputation in market.
- Attract and develop talent, and build a healthy and high performing team within Qualcomm matrix (influencing without authority) to create scale to ensure Qualcomm takes full advantage of the opportunity in Energy and Utilities.
- Help develop the story for the Investor Community and orchestrate efforts across multiple Qualcomm teams to ensure our value proposition reaches and convinces investors that we have a unique advantage to bring the Energy and Utilities Industry to the Intelligence Edge thanks to our superior edge technologies for compute, connectivity and security.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, technology or related business field
- Fifteen (15) or more years in product management, business strategy, business consulting, or business development relating to utilities or energy
Five (5) or more years in a leadership rolePreferred Qualifications
- Twenty (20) or more years in product management, business strategy, business consulting, or business development relating to utilities or energy
- MBA or other Master’s degree
- Proven entrepreneurial approach to business growth
In addition to experience, the successful candidate will have demonstrated competencies in the following areas:
- Technical leadership: Leverages technical, professional, and domain-specific knowledge in software product management to achieve strategic and multi-faceted results, attract talent, translate complexity and to captivate stakeholders. This includes providing significant contributions to company and industry knowledge.
- Building Collaborative Relationships: Serves as a role model for building connections across the company. Facilitates the creation of lasting partnerships that foster collaboration and strategic initiatives.
- Team Leadership. Identifies, develops, and retains talented individuals; grows current and future leaders; creates an inclusive environment that ensures all individuals reach their highest potential, thereby allowing Qualcomm to meet future challenges.
- Communication: Inspires trust through transparency. Expertly adapts style to audience and situations to maximize understanding and impact. Communicates technical concepts simplistically.
- Creativity & Innovation: Inspires a creative culture that anticipates change, proactively considers the customer’s perspective, and constantly reinvents itself as it seeks out new ideas, products, and processes.
- Decision Making: Ability to focus on the key drivers of a decision and think through the down-stream consequences of various options. Considers enterprise-wide implications, strategic alignment, and the broader marketplace when making decisions. Decisions have significant financial impact, influence customer strategy, are always aligned with Qualcomm's Code of Business Conduct, and expand or change the broader strategic plan.
- Results Orientation. Builds commitment and enthusiasm to meet deadlines and achieve regional goals within the Company’s complex business operations. Inspires a culture of exceptional performance and ethical behavior to ensure that strategic focus areas are executed and deliver significant results for the Company.
- Strategic Leadership: Navigates high levels of complexity to develop strategies that reflect an enterprise-wide perspective while driving competitive advantage and producing value; takes calculated risk to impact potential return.
Although this role has some expected minor physical activity, this should not deter otherwise qualified applicants from applying. If you are an individual with a physical or mental disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number found here for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities as part of our ongoing efforts to create an accessible workplace.
Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
$0.00 - $0.00The above pay scale reflects the broad, minimum to maximum, pay scale for this job code for the location for which it has been posted. Even more importantly, please note that salary is only one component of total compensation at Qualcomm. We also offer a competitive annual discretionary bonus program and opportunity for annual RSU grants (employees on sales-incentive plans are not eligible for our annual bonus). In addition, our highly competitive benefits package is designed to support your success at work, at home, and at play. Your recruiter will be happy to discuss all that Qualcomm has to offer!