Vice President, Employment Law
Univision is the leading Spanish-language media company in the United States. Our portfolio includes Television, Radio, Digital and Streaming offerings that entertain and inform more Hispanics than any other media company in the country. Our television operations include Local Stations in major cities across the US and Mexico, the Univision Network, UniMás Network and Galavisión. Univision also owns and operates Univision Radio and Univision Digital. Univision is headquartered and has network operations in Miami, and television stations and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States.
Univision is seeking an exceptional senior-level employment attorney to support all areas of Univision and its multiple business units. The ideal candidate is an experienced, collaborative and proactive employment lawyer who is capable of managing multiple, varied matters and who enjoys a fast-paced environment. This is a full-time position at Univision’s corporate headquarters in Miami.
The Vice President, Employment Law will report to the Global Head of Employment and Labor Relations on all employment matters globally, including employment litigation, advice and counseling, and related special projects. This individual will operate as a strategic business partner, working closely with another Law department attorneys and our Human Resources (HR) Team.
- Advise and counsel HR and Executive Management (e.g., Local Media, Network News and Entertainment, and Technical Operations) on all aspects of employment law and personnel matters, including hiring and termination, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations, wage and hour issues and workplace investigations
- Manage all aspects of employment-related disputes, litigation, and administrative matters before local, state and federal agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, and the Department of Labor
- Conduct and/or oversee and advise on internal workplace investigations
- Engage and manage outside counsel, as needed
- Advise on and/or negotiate employment and severance agreements, and provide counsel on other compensation issues
- Stay current on changes in employment law and proactively provide training and education for a diverse and media-savvy employee audience
- Handle reductions in force including WARN compliance and conducting disparate impact analysis
- Recommend, implement, and improve employment related policies
- Responsible for special projects, such as training and other educational programs, which enhance HR, Legal and Compliance functions
- JD from a top accredited law school
- Minimum 7-10 years of employment litigation experience at a top-tier law firm and/or in-house position with a significant amount of counseling experience
- Experience with employment litigation, including mediation and arbitration
- Fluency in Spanish language required
- Exceptional judgment, writing, negotiation and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate issues and risks to business units and corporate functions (e.g., HR, Finance, Corporate Development)
- Self-motivated team member who can work collaboratively with colleagues in the Legal Department, HR, Finance and business units
- Experience with LATAM jurisdictions (Mexico especially) a plus
TelevisaUnivision believes that a happy, well-balanced employee is what makes our culture thrive. We offer a wide selection of perks and benefits including PTO; tuition reimbursement; wellness and employee support programs; 401K; and life and other insurance plans. This is all in addition to our comprehensive and competitive health benefits package featuring medical, dental and vision coverage options.
Univision requires that all U.S. and Puerto Rico employees be vaccinated against COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to submit proof of vaccination. The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and will reasonably accommodate a qualified candidate, who may be unable to be vaccinated, consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Univision is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.