Vehicle Software Algorithm Engineering Internship (Summer 2023)
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
What to Expect
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around May 2023 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e. through September) or into Fall 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before applying.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school on your ability to work 40 hours per week before applying. Again, please do not apply until you know you can work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time during the academic year.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, our interns have a seat at the table and make critical decisions that will influence not only their team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
The Electronic Systems team is looking for algorithm engineers to fill a variety of positions. As an algorithm engineer in the team, you will have opportunity to research and develop new signal processing and machine learning techniques using high level languages such as Python or Matlab and translate these high level algorithms into embedded code in C or C++. You will get an opportunity to use fundamental EE / DSP / Match skills in finding and developing best in class software implementations for various applications such as self-driving cars, in-vehicle sensors, audio signal processing. The candidate is also expected to get their hands dirty in digging through source code, testing prototype firmware and propose solutions to complex problems.
What You’ll Do
- DSP (Digital signal processing) for sensors: In this team your role will be focused on classical signal processing and estimation techniques for a variety of sensors. A strong depth in linear algebra and digital signal processing will be a key requirement for this role, as well as experience in a high-level prototyping language such as Matlab or Python
- Embedded DSP firmware implementation: In this team your role will be more focused on implementing the algorithms in embedded firmware in C or C++. Ability to optimize algorithms for compute limited scenarios, exploiting machine level parallelism and familiarity/interest in embedded programming is a key requirement
- Machine learning and classification for sensors: In this team your role will be to research and develop machine learning and classification techniques for a variety of sensor applications in the car. A strong depth in machine learning / neural networks and experience in a high-level prototyping language such as Matlab or Python is required Bayesian estimation and tracking algorithms: Candidate would be expected to have strong mathematical background in Bayesian estimation techniques, Kalman Filtering and methods. Ability to protype algorithms in Python and familiarity with C++ would be a strong plus
- Audio signal processing: Audio team seeks candidates with strong fundamental DSP skills, linear algebra, statistical processing, and machine learning to tackle various problems in adaptive filters, acoustics, speech enhancement, sound detection, and music playback applications. The ideal candidate is fluent in MATLAB and python, and enjoys realizing and optimizing audio processing code in embedded C, modern C++, and keeps up to date with software engineering best practices
What You’ll Bring
- Working towards MS, or PhD degree in a relevant engineering program such as Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science / Engineering (or other majors with related experiences)
- Strong Matlab or python programming skills, familiarity with common python packages
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms, familiarity with robotics algorithms such as Kalman Filter, Particle Filter, SLAM. Strong training of math (probability, statistics, linear algebra)
- Experience in embedded C/C++ programming, board bring-up, profiling, optimization, simulation, and various levels of testing (SW only, HW/SW integration, etc.)
- Demonstration of good understanding of software fundamentals including software design, algorithm development, data structures, code modularity, and maintainability
- Very strong mathematical skills in probability, advanced linear algebra and calculus
- Good data analysis and data visualization skills would be a huge plus
- Strong fundamentals, critical thinking, results-driven, product-oriented mindset, self-driven, good communication skills and great learning capabilities
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice.