Total Rewards Manager
Upstream is excited to announce an opening for a dynamic Total Rewards Manager who will play a critical role in shaping the strategic direction for Upstream’s Total Rewards, which is the combination of compensation (monetary rewards), benefits (non-monetary rewards) and other organizational perks. This role will significantly contribute to Upstream’s Total Rewards philosophy through the creation, design, implementation, and administration of benefits and other total reward programs by ensuring the company’s benefits package is uniquely competitive and flexible to meet the varying needs of our diverse employee population, while also being understood and utilized by employees. The Total Rewards Manager also manages Upstream’s compensation function and administers programs and policies to ensure that all compensation-related activities and decisions are in compliance with applicable regulations and standards across a US national geographic footprint. The ideal candidate must be extremely organized, analytical and detail oriented with strong presentation and follow-through skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Compensation & Payroll
- Lead and execute full cycle bi-weekly payroll functions for the organization; which includes timesheet management, payroll processing, reporting and system maintenance in Paycom.
- Establish and maintain a database of labor laws and compensation standards for each US state; while ensuring compliance with state payroll regulations.
- Ensure confidential data integrity and resolve employee issues related to earnings, taxes, and deductions.
- Manage the development, implementation, and administration of compensation programs; design strategies and policies to align with organizational goals and performance.
- Manage the annual compensation analysis process, including the salary planning process for pay increases, salary structure adjustments and off-cycle support to managers as needed.
- Provides guidance and recommendations to managers around salary recommendations, job analysis, policy interpretations and compensation/market benchmarking.
- Maintain compensation records for trend analysis and data-driven decision making.
- Conducts compensation and benefits analysis to identify internal trends and equity improvements, including ad-hoc reporting as required.
- Manage compensation vendor relations.
- Drives the planning, vision, compliance and development of competitive benefit & reward programs for the organization.
- Serve as the key point of contact for Upstream’s benefit program management. Includes day-to-day benefit administration and management, open enrollment management, monitoring plan performance, benefit broker relationship management, benefit plan compliance and reporting.
- Identify opportunities, research, and develop new or enhance existing benefits to align with Upstreams’s Total Rewards philosophy.
- Oversee the management of all leave programs; STD, LTD, Parental Leave, Worker’s Comp, FMLA, etc.
- Develop communication tools to enhance understanding of the organization’s benefits packages including information about benefit changes and government-mandated disclosures that impact them; ensure that Upstream’s total rewards practices and programs are transparent and understood by employees.
- Keep current with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the benefits field.
Human Resources Information System (HRIS)
- Manage and oversee Upstream’s human resources information system.
- Maintain data integrity and implement process improvements with utility and reporting.
- Engage in audits as needed and required.
- Generate reporting such as end of year total rewards statements.
- Lead on any HRIS migrations or enhancements as needed by the organization.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Upstream celebrates and fosters an inclusive work environment and encourages people of all identities, perspectives and backgrounds to apply.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, human resources, or relevant experience in lieu of education.
- 5+ years of direct compensation and benefit experience with at least one of those years in a capacity centered on total rewards strategy, design and implementation.
- Solid understanding of HIPAA, COBRA, ERISA, FMLA, FLSA, and other state and federal regulations is required.
- Solid working knowledge of HRIS and benefit carrier technology is essential. Paycom and UKG experience is a plus.
- Compensation and Benefit certification strongly preferred [e.g. Certified Compensation Professional (CCP®), Certified Benefits Professional® (CBP), and/or Global Remuneration Professional (GRP®) designation is preferred].
- Prior experience in a lead, supervisory, or management role desired.
- Confidence working independently, exercising good judgment, demonstrating initiative, and making informed decisions with limited direction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; confident under all circumstances; establishes rapport quickly with all levels of diverse staff members; collaborative and supportive.
- Demonstrates a high degree of flexibility and adaptability, comfortable in establishing new direction, managing rapid change and shifting priorities.
- Brings new ideas, thought leadership, industry trends, best practices, and market insight. Seeks efficiency and looks beyond the “what we’ve always done” boundaries.
- Upstream USA’s COVID-19 Vaccine Policy requires employees to have completed a COVID-19 vaccine primary series unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination or, if applicable, request a medical or religious exemption.
- All Upstreamers must also be able to attend work-related in-person meetings and functions as needed.
- In our hybrid work environments, there is a basic expectation that our Upstreamers will ensure that their work from home setups will have reliable access to phone and Internet to ensure connectivity to their teams.
- At Upstream we gather for moments that matter for training, teaming and connection. Our teams come together for occasional in person meetings and organizational retreats. As part of our hybrid work practices, this travel expectation will be applicable for all Upstreamers, even those based remotely.
The ideal candidate will embody and embrace our core values which serve as our operating principles:
- We keep our mission at the center; our mission to expand opportunity by reducing unplanned pregnancy guides our decisions, actions and purpose
- We trust each other; we are reliable, empathetic, compassionately direct, and confident in each others’ ability to do the same
- We work every day to build an equitable, diverse and inclusive culture; we respect the backgrounds contexts and experiences of individuals, teams and partners in our interactions
- We bring joy to our work; we create opportunities to celebrate, connect and strengthen relationships with one another.
This role will require up to 10% of business travel. All Upstreamers can expect a minimum of 8 days of business travel per year to attend two annual organizational retreats and two annual team/department meetings.
Upstream USA offers a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long and short term disability, 401K with a match, generous vacation, personal, sick and holiday time off, parental leave, professional development and a fitness and cell phone allowance for all full time employees and part time employees who work a minimum of 24 hours per week.
The hiring range for this role is $89,420 to $126,486. Final offers for this position will be based upon several factors including the scope of the role, market compensation analysis, position requirements, candidate’s experience level and capabilities, specific candidate geographic location, internal pay equity considerations and will be made within the parameters of Upstream USA's compensation framework and philosophy.
Candidates who advance in our preliminary review process will have an opportunity to discuss the position, their employment background and lived experience with a member of our talent acquisition team by telephone. Those who advance to subsequent steps in our interview process may participate in up to three rounds of meetings by Zoom or in person and in a thought exercise/case study assignment. Each round could consist of multiple meetings with various Upstreamers.
At Upstream, we embrace diversity. We nurture it and we thrive on it because it benefits our organization, our partners, and our community. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain exceptional people, and to create a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Upstream is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Learn more about working at Upstream, our values, and our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. Upstream USA participates in E-Verify.
2 Oliver Street, Suite 402, Boston, MA 02109
Be advised that we do not ever conduct hiring interviews via text or email. Please protect yourself by learning more about our hiring practices and common red flags to look out for.