The Environmental Sustainability Strategy and Reporting Senior Advisor
The Environmental Sustainability Strategy and Reporting Senior Advisor leads the environmental sustainability pillar of Cigna's Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) strategy and helps develop Cigna’s ESG disclosures. The ideal candidate will successfully work with cross-functional teams to evolve and achieve the Company’s sustainability goals and to lead the production of sustainability disclosures that strengthen Cigna’s reputation with investors and leading ratings and rankings agencies over time. They will also work closely with business partners to drive awareness and adoption of Cigna’s sustainability goals and ESG reporting initiatives within each business segment. Candidates should have a proven track record of leading enterprise-wide change; improving companies’ performance on a variety of technical environmental sustainability issues; and issuing ESG sustainability disclosures in line with leading frameworks from the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Task Force for Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), and/or the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
Main Functions & Responsibilities
The ideal candidate will successfully lead cross-functional teams to help Cigna identify next generation environmental sustainability goals. In addition, the ideal candidate will:
- Enhance processes to identify climate-related risks and opportunities in line with guidance from TCFD
- Support the Global Real Estate team relative to the company’s goals to reduce Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 50% by 2030 from 2019 baseline, achieve carbon neutral neutrality for Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions by 2040 and source renewable electricity for 100% of our global power needs by 2030
- Partner with the Global Real Estate team and other business partners to regularly measure progress against the goals above and disclose it to raters and rankers on an annual basis
- Collaborate with Supply Chain teams to identify and implement best practices to measure and reduce emissions, waste and water and energy
- Support Cigna’s membership and engagement in groups like RE100
- Foster a culture of sustainability through ongoing organizational communications and education
- Collaborate with brand Marketing and Communications teams to increase sustainability messaging in customer-facing materials
Produce Annual Sustainability Disclosures
- Develop recommendations to enhance ESG reporting
- Manage all enterprise environmental reporting, including CDP, TCFD, and relevant portions of SASB, DJSI, etc.
- Work with ESG team to collect data for the company’s ESG disclosures
- Partner with Audit team to increase the reliability of ESG reporting data and its assurance over time
- Stay up to date on ESG reporting regulations and ensure Cigna’s compliance
- Strengthen Cigna’s reputation and relationships with leading ratings and rankings agencies like MSCI and Sustainalytics
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environment/Sustainability, Business, Energy, Engineering, Public Policy or a related discipline.
- 5 - 7 years of professional experience in sustainability and/or management consulting including experience with ESG reporting is required
- Deep familiarity with ESG reporting frameworks and ratings and rankings agencies, including – but not limited to – SASB, GRI, TCFD, CDP, MSCI, and Sustainalytics
- Demonstrated success in leading cross-functional teams and/or multi-stakeholders groups to drive positive and equitable change
- Capacity to work through ambiguity, make decisions, and communicate with executives with minimal direction and oversight
- High ethical standards and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Systems thinking
- Data collection and analysis
- Interdepartmental collaboration
- Developing programs from scratch
- Toggling between strategy development and tactical implementation
- Weighing competing demands while maintaining a clear focus on Cigna’s overarching business priorities
For this position, we anticipate offering an annual salary of $94,300 - $157,100, depending on relevant factors, including experience and geographic location.
This role is also anticipated to be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan.
Helping our customers achieve healthier, more secure lives is at the heart of what we do. While you take care of our customers, we’ll take care of you through a comprehensive benefits program that helps you be at your best. Starting on day one of your employment, you’ll be offered several health-related benefits including medical, vision, dental, and best in class well-being and behavioral health programs. We also offer 401(k) with company match, company paid life insurance, tuition reimbursement, a minimum of 18 days of paid time off per year and dozens of corporate discounts on essentials you use every day. For more details on our employee benefits programs, please visit the “Life at Cigna” tab on our careersite: www.cigna.com/careers