Tech Lead Software Engineer
The People of Southwest Airlines come together to deliver on our Purpose, which is to connect People to what’s important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel. This Technology Lead Software Engineer invests in the future of Southwest’s People by refactoring how we collect, store, and expose data using the latest cloud architectures and tools. This role will use a Data Lake House solution to provide the correct data to Customers at the appropriate time. The Technology Lead Software Engineer is a strategic, innovative thinker who is excited about the opportunity to implement solutions that will offer exponential value as the foundation of Southwest.
As the Technology Lead Software Engineer, you can expect:
- Experience with CloudFormation, IAM role and policy, VPC, Route53, CloudWatch, API, Gateway, streaming, storage, and tagging may be beneficial in transitioning to this role but are not required.
- Fly for free, as a privilege, on any open seat on all Southwest flights—your eligible dependents too.
- Up to a 9.3% 401(k) Company match, dollar for dollar, per paycheck.*
- Potential for annual Profit Sharing contribution toward retirement - when Southwest profits, you profit.**
- Explore more Benefits you’ll love: swa.is/benefits
- For eligible Leadership and individual contributor roles, additional bonus opportunities are available and awarded at the discretion of the company.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We continue to look for opportunities to reflect the communities we serve, and welcome applicants with diverse thoughts, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Lead and motivate a Team of developers in the planning, delivery, and operation of highly reliable software. Accountable for the technical quality of the software that the Development Team produces and closely collaborates with the Business and other Stakeholders to ensure software meets functional and non-functional expectations. Act as an interface between the Development Team and Leadership, ensuring capacity and skillsets are aligned to meet ongoing delivery expectations. Time is allocated across Project Leadership, Technical Leadership/Mentoring, and Software Development/System Engineering.
- Ability to manage a pod which has both employees, and contractors.
- Strategically map out successful plans to build the platform as infrastructure for Data Lake.
- Provide accurate development estimates in support of feasibility assessments and planned development activities
- Create, maintain, review and approve application designs in collaboration with Solution Architects and shared services Teams, ensuring alignment to the appropriate solution architectures and taking tradeoffs into account
- Develop, maintain, and review software with a focus on quality and maintainability
- Develop, maintain, review, and execute unit, functional, and integration tests with a focus on automation and test-driven development
- Provide technical oversight for performance testing, ensuring plan and outcomes align to expected non-functional requirements
- Plan and oversee application deployment activities and sequencing in non-production and production environments
- Investigate new technologies that could improve the applications and development activities
- Identify and resolve technical debt as appropriate, weighing the development effort against the value returned
- Mentor and coach Development Team on relevant architecture, design, development, and operations topics
- Evaluate code to ensure that it is valid, is properly structured, meets industry standards, and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee's Leaders
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of software development methodologies, practices, concepts, and technologies
- Advanced knowledge of at least one programming language and at least general knowledge of one or more additional programming languages
- Knowledge of project management methodology and principles
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving abilities with a proactive mindset to get ahead of issues
- Skilled in communication with ability to articulate a clear direction and priorities on ideas, approaches, concepts, options, risks, impacts, and recommendations to technical, non-technical, and Leadership audiences with ability to adapt the message accordingly
- Ability to articulate the technical implementation and how it provides business value
- Ability to lead ideation, presentation, and group-thinking sessions
- Ability to influence effectively without authority up through Senior Leadership levels to achieve desired business outcomes
- Ability to lead multiple efforts concurrently, whether administrative or project related, while maintaining a successful level of completion in their own work
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, Team-based, Customer service-oriented environment
- Required: High School Diploma or GED
- Required: Bachelor's Degree in Business, Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Systems, or related field; or equivalent formal training
- Large experience working with AWS - IAM role and policy, VPC, Route53, CloudWatch, API Gateway, Streaming, Storage, Tagging
- CloudFormation – Hands-on delivery experience
- CloudFormation tools (SAM, Serverless, Stacker, Terraform
- DevOps (Jenkins/GitLab/Code Pipeline/Monitoring & Metrics
- Required: Expert level experience, expansive and knowledge in software engineering
- Ability to perform work duties from [limited space work station/desk/office area] for extended periods of time
- Ability to communicate and interact with others in the English language to meet the demands of the job
- Ability to use a computer and other office productivity tools with sufficient speed and accuracy to meet the demands of the job
- Competitive market salary from $151,400 per year to $168,200 per year * depending on qualifications and experience. For eligible Leadership and individual contributor roles, additional bonus opportunities are available and awarded at the discretion of the Company.
- Benefits you’ll love: Fly for free, as a privilege, on any open seat on all Southwest flights (your eligible dependents too) Up to a 9.3% 401(k) Company match, dollar for dollar, of your eligible pay, per paycheck**
- Potential for annual Profit-sharing contribution toward retirement - when Southwest profits, you profit***
- Explore more Benefits you’ll love: https://careers.southwestair.com/benefits*Pay amount doesn’t guarantee employment for any particular period of time**401(k) match contributions are subject to the plan’s vesting schedule and applicable IRS limits ***Profit-sharing contributions are subject to plan’s vesting schedule and are made at the discretion of the Company
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
401(k) match contributions are subject to the plan’s vesting schedule and applicable IRS limits
ProfitSharing contributions are subject to plan’s vesting
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please print/save this job description because it won't be available after you apply.