Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Checkr is looking for a business-minded tax professional to join our growing tax group. As a Tax Operations Manager, you will be primarily responsible for collaborating with co-workers and service providers to help manage tax operations and ensure the timely and accurate completion of the company’s income tax returns and reporting (ASC 740) obligations. You will partner within the tax and wider finance teams, as well as legal, accounting, the business, and third-party service providers to implement and improve Checkr’s tax processes. This role will report directly to the Director, Tax Operations.
What you’ll do
- Manage third party tax advisors and assist in the preparation and review of federal, state and local tax returns.
- Advise business teams on tax issues and policies including in connection with business operations, financings, M&A, new businesses and new markets.
- Prepare the quarterly and annual tax provisions including tax footnotes.
- Assist with the tax aspects of financial forecasts.
- Identify and suggest improvements to tax-related processes.
- Support the resolution of tax notices and audits.
- Help develop, execute, and document effective, SOX-compliant internal controls.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of tax experience within a public accounting firm and/or multinational company.
- Expertise in ASC 740 with experience preparing and reviewing corporate income tax returns, provisions, and reporting disclosures for forms 10-Q and 10-K.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field. CPA, MSA, or MST is a plus.
- Experience with ERP systems and tax technology applications, Oracle and Avalara a plus.
- Ability to triage - prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Willingness to be proactive in implementing process improvements.
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Up to $25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion.
The salary range for this role is $93,925 to $195,500.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.