Dollar General is required to collect sales tax from customers and remit sales tax as well as use tax on purchases to each respective taxing jurisdiction in 45 states. We are also required to file prepaid wireless, beverage and miscellaneous returns in most of the 45 states. This individual will also work with the Tax Exempt Certificate Maintenance program (TECM) approving resale and/or exemption certificates. This position will be involved in sales tax compliance issues and should possess a strong understanding of GAAP principals. The Tax Manager will oversee the training and review the work of the Tax Administrator.
- Calculate, prepare, file and pay the sales, use, prepaid wireless and miscellaneous tax returns in approximately 10 or more States accurately and timely as required by taxing jurisdictions to ensure that all deadlines are met monthly, quarterly and annually.
- Receive and process customer’s resales or tax exemption certificates using our Tax Exempt Certificate Maintenance (TECM) software.
- Ensure that all sales tax returns are filed and remitted in a timely manner to the states in order to maximize cash flow and allowing us to retain allowable discounts.
- Prepare general ledger journal entries for sales tax returns and sales tax prepayments monthly.
- Prepare and coordinate with the Tax Manager the timely filing of sales tax registrations for all new and relocated stores at the state and local levels for approximately 250+ stores yearly.
- Assist with sales tax audits and special projects as needed
- Research sales tax rates monthly to be deployed to stores and respond to sales tax notices to resolution.
- Values and Mission Driven
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment; act as an integral part of the team with an emphasis on customer service, high quality attention to detail with the ability to learn new things quickly.
- Be self-motivated and have the ability to achieve preset goals with good organizational, planning and prioritizing skills.
- Work proficiently with Microsoft Office applications. Advanced Excel skills.
- Good presentation with written and oral communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and Onesource Sales and Use Tax Compliance Software.
College degree and/or five years of experience in the field of sales and use tax accounting required.