As the challenges facing the world grow, so too do the sustainability needs of Microsoft’s customers in addressing their impact on the environment, society and the economy. Microsoft is looking for experts to help our customers to achieve their sustainability goals.
The Industry Solutions (IS) Sustainability Service Line is part of Microsoft’s global consulting organization. The business combines the experience and understanding we have gained in our own sustainability journey at Microsoft with digital technology which enables enterprise organizations to achieve more.
To support these efforts, Microsoft is hiring Sustainability Specialists. This position will have three primary responsibilities: Lead executive level conversations to understand the sustainability goals and challenges of our customers, leverage consulting experience to guide customers from a broad agreement to partner with Microsoft to a specific program of work, establish deep relationships with key customers to continue to partner with them on their sustainability journey.
A successful candidate will be inventive, comfortable working in ambiguous, complex environments, and adept at managing large enterprise customers. You must demonstrate strong consultative leadership, be flexible, able to multi-task, meet deadlines, and be comfortable working independently.
Understanding Customer/Partner Technical Environment
- Gathers customer/partner insights from a broad range of stakeholders as well as the main business sponsor to shape and form both the definition and ongoing execution of projects. Identifies and evaluates industry trends (customer industry verticals, information technology [IT] industry). Adapts business models, plans, and solutions to insights.
- Works with customer/partner stakeholders (e.g., Enterprise Architects, Security Team, Development Team, Operations Team) and business sponsor to socialize both the business solution and the project approach to determine if changes are needed to the business solution. Where the cost of change is accepted by the customer, shares this feedback with the project team and the broader account team to make the necessary adjustments using mechanisms such as updating the solution approach and projected costs in presales and change requests in delivery. Contributes to Microsoft-centric operations and cadences to align with customer feedback.
- Uses evidence-based approach to represent the customer/partner as a customer advocate and share insights with Product Engineering teams and the business with a view to improving Microsoft technologies, products, services and offerings such that they can better meet customer/partner needs across a territory.
Architecture Design and Deployment
- Leverages a structured approach to Architecture Projects using existing methodologies (e.g., Waterfall, Agile, Iterative) that make use of existing reference architecture and established architectural styles and design patterns. Proposes and develops new solutions to scale across multiple customers/partners. Builds and maintains an architecture description document, an architecture decisions log, and a requirements/constraints traceability matrix to ensure the rationale for the business solution's Architecture is known and understood.
- Defines and documents the architecture through an architecture description document, an architecture decisions log, and a requirements/constraints traceability matrix to communicate the value proposition of the business solution along with the project approach. Leads complex cost-based and technology-based discussions to explain the Architecture in terms of its build, deployment, and ongoing operational use to determine customer appetite for the business solution. Uses a business-value approach that values return on investment (ROI) and customer costs-savings over technical ease of execution.
- Collaborates with the Project Manager to jointly drive project/technical governance of the design, build, and deployment into use of proof of concepts (POCs) and pilots, using enterprise architecture processes and ensuring quality control through peer review. Works with customers to understand and demonstrate business value (e.g., release of revenue, cost savings) that the business solution realize.
- Works with the business sponsor and customer/partner stakeholders (e.g., Business users, Enterprise Architects, Security Team, Operations Team) to gather and ratify requirements and constraints. Manages and resolves complex ambiguity in the requirements and constraints and documents assumptions and implications where it cannot be resolved. Maintains the requirements/constraints traceability matrix to prove that solution components have a rationale/justification for inclusion in the architecture of the business solution. Drives development and execution of test plans to prove that each requirement/constraint has been implemented as expected by the customer. Where there are defects, works in close collaboration with the Project Manager and Customer to redress or accept and document the status of the test results.
- Collaborates with the Account Team and/or Bid Team to understand the business solution/problem. Drives agreement, based on the customer’s priorities, requirements/constraints, approach, principles, concepts, and expectations. Builds and documents a realistically costed, advanced/complex Solution Approach with traceability of requirements, constraints, decisions, and tradeoffs that balances risk, technical credibility, and technical innovation to meet customer need, predominantly based on existing solution offerings and/or reference architecture. Jointly leads the implementation in close partnership with the Project Manager. Leads oversight and governance and establishment of quality practices and standards to realize the business solution. Uses a cohesive build methodology with an agreed release schedule and timeline so the solution can be transitioned to live operations, leveraging solution expertise. Ensures communication of and adherence to the pre-sales value proposition. Works with the Project Manager to highlight where assumptions have proven false. Uses change requests to modify the Solution/project approach when needed. As needed, collaborates with subject matter experts to receive specialized advice that can help define the Solution and project approach and increase the time to value for the customer.
- Anticipates and identifies scenarios that could slow or impede pre-sales/delivery. Orchestrates the broader Microsoft team to address technical blockers and works with account/project team to resolve non-technical issues. Reports significant problems to Microsoft management and resolves escalations when needed. Plans a way forward in complex and ambiguous situations with an innovative approach and durable design. Delegates and leverages specialist skills of others to drive technical alignment across internal/external teams. Coordinates disparate approaches into a single plan of action for complex scenarios.
- Works in close collaboration with the Project Manager and Account Team to identify, categorize, and communicate business and technical risks. Defines risk mitigation activities that are foundational to the project plan. Defines risk contingency plans for invocation should the risk occur.
- Generates new and/or improvements to existing intellectual property. Connects gaps and patterns across business and technology areas to drive changes. Identifies which ideas should be culled, with consideration for scale across customers. Drives the re-use of intellectual property and recommends practices in both pre-sales and delivery. Participates and contributes to internal/external communities.
- Develops a network of internal/external relationships with senior-level decision makers to build influence in addressing problems/blockers and facilitating additional views on the matter of interest. Acts as an advisor to external stakeholders. Provides direction to facilitate relationships between others. Stays up to date on Microsoft’s technologies, products, and services in order to communicate Microsoft's mission, strategy, and capabilities.
- Uses evidence-based arguments that articulate complex concepts in a simple manner to respectfully challenge Microsoft and customers/partners when a decision or course of action will not produce optimal results. Leverages strategic expertise to encourage alternative approaches where applicable. Serves as the "technical conscience" to challenge the status quo and unrealistic expectations. Proactively resolves conflicts and seeks resolution to balance the overall outcome. Drives consensus where possible and leads decisions to resolve conflict when needed.
- Leads the adoption of Microsoft solutions technologies based on understanding of competitor solutions and how customer business value can be driven through Microsoft's offerings. Differentiates Microsoft's solutions in customer/partner conversations to influence the industry-wide direction for specific architecture(s).
- Leads virtual teams around technologies and customer/partner challenges by sharing ideas, insight, and strategic, technical input with technical teams, internal communities across the field, and the larger virtual team across Microsoft using knowledge of Microsoft architectures and their context in the competitive landscape.
- Participates in external architect community events (e.g., conferences, seminars, technical meetups, Webcasts, blogs, hackathons) and shares learnings with internal team. Acts a mentor to junior colleagues by educating them on technical and non-technical concepts and sharing best practices. Demonstrates deep industry knowledge and drives recognition for Microsoft solutions through presentations and engagements with external audiences.
- Bachelor's Degree in Sustainability or a related field AND 8+ years experience in technology solutions, corporate sustainability strategy and/or execution, practice development, architecture, consulting, and/or technology domain
- OR Master's Degree in Sustainability, or related field AND 6+ years experience in corporate sustainability strategy and/or execution
- OR equivalent experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Sustainability or a related field AND 10+ years experience in technology solutions, practice development, architecture, consulting, and/or technology domain
- OR Master's Degree in Sustainability or a related field AND 8+ years experience in technology solutions, practice development, architecture, consulting, and/or technology domain
- OR equivalent experience.
- 10+ years consulting experience at senior levels
- 3+ years’ experience managing an ESG reporting or related program.
- 3+ years’ experience working in or with a large, matrixed organization.
- 10+ years of experience in a technology or engineering organization with experience across multiple disciplines.
- 5+ years of experience coordinating collaborative teams to design, build, evaluate, support, and continuously improve enterprise systems.
- Background in sustainability, environmental science, or other natural sciences.
- Attention to detail, strong strategic execution.
- Success collaborating across multiple teams and levels.
- Proven track record in project and business management.
- Experience leading and executing projects in a complex organizational environment and work on several diverse projects simultaneously.
- Strong analytical, financial acumen and communication skills with the ability to influence across non-direct reporting teams.
- Ability to translate ideas into clear, high impact communications.
- Ability to excel in an ambiguous environment.
The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $122,800 and $205,000.
At Microsoft, certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.