Gensler is seeking an experienced sustainability analyst with design expertise in the built environment, including setting goals on carbon and related performance metrics, quantifying performance of design options, and collaborating with design teams to develop effective strategies to improve performance. The focus of this role is a combination of technical leadership, mentorship, and business development across all design types.
As a Sustainability Specialist at Gensler, you will join a highly creative, collaborative team dedicated to innovative problem solving and design excellence. You will work with the Northeast Sustainability Consulting team in providing a full spectrum of sustainability advisory and support to clients and project teams, from pre-design through post-occupancy.
What You Will Do
- Employing technical analysis and research, you will integrate with design teams to identify opportunities and elevate sustainability for a wide range of world class clients and projects ranging from commercial interiors to ground up buildings and real estate portfolios
- Design and facilitate work sessions with clients and design teams to build consensus, and develop sustainability strategies for individual projects and across portfolios
- Undertake performance analysis including but not limited to embodied carbon/whole building lifecycle analysis, daylight, energy, solar, and climate assessments
- Identify and maintain awareness of current and emerging technologies, tools, and methods as they impact the delivery of green building design
- Lead business development for Sustainability Analytics consulting opportunities
- Mentor sustainability team members and designers to advance their sustainability expertise and professional development goals
- Provide oversight and coordinate integration of BIM, lifecycle assessment, energy modeling, daylighting and other technical analysis in projects, including fee management and staffing
- Coordinate the work of multiple consultants and supervise the work of project team members, including providing training and guidance
- Stimulate internal knowledge and interest in new innovations, technologies, and approaches, educating staff in their use and application
- Develop new sustainability service offerings, resources, and processes
- Provide thought leadership in sustainable design (externally and internally)
- 8+ years of post-graduate experience in a similar role
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in sustainable building, architecture, engineering, interiors or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Innovator, ability to create and successfully implement new programs
- Detail-oriented, creative problem-solver with a collaborative, solutions-oriented working style
- Strong leadership, communication and relationship management skills
- Expertise in building systems, building performance analytics, climatic and passive design principles
- Strong knowledge of integrative design practice, project management, and consultant coordination
- Strong writing, speaking, organizational skills, and technical presentation ability
- Experienced in lifecycle assessment and integration of embodied carbon into sustainability goals
- Experienced in third-party green building rating systems (LEED, WELL, Passivehaus, Living Building Challenge, ILFI Zero Carbon Certification, etc.)
- Proficient user of building simulation and LCA software including OpenStudio/EnergyPlus, DIVA, Climate Studio, OneClick LCA, or Tally
- Proficient user of design software including Revit, Rhino, Grasshopper, Dynamo
- Experience with organizational carbon footprinting, climate action planning, climate change resiliency assessment, and/or environmental and social governance (ESG) a plus
- Experience with relational databases and data analytics software such as R, Tableau, or PowerBI
- Coding or scripting experience, particularly Python, Ruby, or C#
- Familiarity with Salesforce, and other project management tools such as Smartsheet or Teams Planner, or willingness to learn
- Familiarity with digital collaboration tools such as Microsoft Teams, and willingness to learn others such as Miro and/or Mural
- ASHRAE Building Energy Modeling Professional or Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant certification
Please provide a well-crafted introduction of yourself as a cover letter explaining your passion for environmental sustainability as it relates to the built environment, along with a portfolio of work. This can include notable projects from past work experience, innovative or environmental designs, or process- oriented tools you have built. Be prepared to discuss previous experience with project certifications.
Life at Gensler
Gensler is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Through our Five Strategies to Fight Racism, we continue to create a just and equitable future for our colleagues and our communities with our clients. We are a solid voice for social change as we impact people’s lives and fight racism. At Gensler, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace environment.
As a people-first organization, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.