This person would be part of the Sustainability Team based in Chicago, IL and required to create sustainability related documents for USG branded products. In addition, the individual is expected to review, and analyze GHG emission drivers, calculate GHG and its impact on global warming potential. Additionally, this person would also aid as required in the implementation and tracking progress of the 2030 Corporate Sustainability Goals.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Maintain USG LCAs and EPDs
- Conduct LCAs and generate EPD, HPD, Declare labels for all USG branded products. Maintain and update USG product transparency documents on various sustainability platforms externally and internally. Work with formulators, Legal representatives, and marketing to produce transparency documents in compliance with the program’s best practices.
- Analyze drivers for GHG emissions, work with manufacturing, research or sourcing in reducing our GHG emission. Calculate GHG emissions for Scope 1, 2 and 3 within reasonable assurance and perform double materiality assessments when required.
- Collaborate with other functional groups in driving USG sustainability goals.
- Represent USG on industry technical subcommittees in sustainability related with our 2030 goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Engineering, Chemistry, or Sciences strongly preferred)
- Post-graduate degree in Sustainability, Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering preferred.
Years of Experience
- 1-7 years of relevant sustainability related experience
- Not afraid to ask questions and learn new skills.
- Must be committed to environmental action
- Good understanding of building products
- Technically knowledgeable of climate change activities and requirements, and green building standards (e.g., LEED, WELL and LBC)
- Strong written and oral communication
- Ability to initiate projects and execute to completion in a timely and self-directed manner
- Excellent business ethics
- Understanding of green chemistry
- Excellent presentation abilities
- Good organizations skills and ability to manage product certifications.
- Experience in reviewing chemicals for use in products and how chemicals behave throughout the life cycle of products
- Knowledgeable in green building standards
- Knowledge of green product certifications
- Product knowledge and familiarity with USG manufacturing processes
Must be able to train in Libertyville, IL for 6 months upon hiring. Note this time length is dependent on the candidate.
Rate of pay may be adjusted based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
USG employees enjoy a number of benefit options for themselves and their families. These include two medical insurance options, as well as vision and dental coverage. The cost of these optional programs varies based on coverage level - employees generally pay 25% of the monthly premium cost, USG pays the rest. These coverage options are offered on the first day of employment with no waiting period.
Additionally, USG employees enjoy both a 401(k) Investment Plan with company match and a pension plan. Beyond these main features, employees may also choose from a number of additional programs like life insurance, accident insurance, legal insurance, even pet insurance, just to name a few. USG also offers Quarterly (hourly) / Annual (salary) bonus potential for all employees based on performance metrics tied to safety, quality, and productivity. USG also provides employees with paid time off and paid holidays.
Since 1902, Chicago-based USG has been a leader in producing innovative, award-winning products and systems to build everything from major commercial developments and residential housing to home improvements. USG's employees are committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and quality in everything we do. Our steadfast commitment to the company's core business values – innovation, quality, integrity, service, diversity, efficiency and safety – have helped us become the company we are today.
EOE including disability/veteran