The Sustainability Coordinator will work with the higher education field team to implement standard sustainability operating procedures and initiatives across campus dining operations, in alignment with sustainability priorities identified in CDS' Sustainability Report and Annual Plan. In partnership with University and Dining Services stakeholders, the coordinator will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive sustainable dining strategy with emphases on recycling and waste minimization, resource conservation and efficiency, local food sourcing, and sustainability education and engagement.
Core Job Duties/Responsibilities
- Partner with University to develop a robust recycling program to divert waste from FOH and BOH dining operations. Develop appropriate marketing and educational materials for diners and staff to accompany program roll out.
- Work with operations team on energy and water conservation initiatives and green building practices in all dining facilities. Work to acquire Green Restaurant Association certification for applicable dining locations.
- Oversee and maintain fryer oil recycling program; manage data and information provision to University stakeholders..
- Establish and expand purchasing partnerships with local producers through approved supply chain management process. Track and report local spend and ensure operational adherence to annual purchasing targets aligned with University's local sourcing goals. (Real Food Commitment or similar)
- Draft content for University's Dining Services Sustainability Plan, to be updated annually, including timelines and quantifiable progress regarding local purchasing objectives and long-term goals and responsibilities for the sustainability coordinator position.
- Manage reusable to-go container program and develop creative ways to encourage increased diner participation. Research and report on sustainable single-use disposable alternatives as needed.
- Train and monitor the activities of the Dining Services staff to accomplish identified sustainability objectives. Develop training materials appropriate for various audiences and sustainability issue areas.
- Develop proposals for sustainable dining initiatives. In this effort, explore options and conduct a cost analysis regarding implementation of a BOH food waste composting program for campus dining.
- In partnership with the marketing team, create sustainability marketing and education awareness campaigns and events, including sustainability theme meals in residential dining.
- Develop and maintain sustainability program information for University Dining Services website and social media platforms.
- Support University's sustainability reporting needs (e.g., AASHE STARS, etc.).
- Participate in regular meetings with internal Dining Services team and external stakeholders to collaborate on sustainability initiatives and ensure alignment of environmental goals and priorities. Serve as liaison to the campus community, University departments, and student groups for dining- and sustainability-related projects, ideas, challenges, policies, and inquiries.
- Maintain effective client and customer rapport. Identify client needs and communicate operational progress. Demonstrate excellent customer service.
- Passionate about Food and the customer experience
- Degree in a subject related to sustainability/Environmental Science
- Significant (1-3 years +) experience working in sustainability team.
- Knowledge of and experience with social and environmental matters, including interconnected issues; understands business and operations of large food company
- Inquisitive mind set with strong analytical abilities. Strategic thinker looking outside to bring new approaches to continually improve internal effectiveness
- Highly analytical, ability to synthesize information and offer recommendations/solutions
- Ability to work independently and manage multi-stakeholder engagement from vision to implementation
- Resilient, and able to adapt to challenges, identify underlying concerns, share ideas and develop effective responses or elevate to higher management
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Organized with a strong attention to detail and follow through
- Able to handle multiple projects and competing priorities effectively
Aramark is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Veteran.