The Sustainability Analyst serves as the in-house technical expert for the delivery of consulting services addressing innovative approaches and corporate sustainability strategies in carbon and broader sustainability markets, as well as in the context of reporting frameworks.
Uses a variety of research methods to analyze, report, and provide recommendations for corporate sustainability projects and programs. Stays abreast of trends in renewable resources, sustainable work processes, and environmental science. The Sustainability Analyst ensures proper sustainability benchmarks are established and maintained using ESG (Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance) measures, standards, and methodologies. Additionally, the Sustainability Analyst reports to the Project Director. The Sustainability Analyst occasionally directs several projects gaining exposure to some of the more complex tasks within the job function.
Works is performed in an office environment. Occasional evening and/or weekend hours may be required. Occasional travel between hospital entities in the Houston area requiring the use of a personal vehicle.
Primary Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Conduct a variety of quantitative and qualitative analyses to support the development of customized client sustainability solutions, e.g. corporate and/or product environmental foot printing; qualitative analyses such as materiality assessments or gap analysis and others.
- Develop and/or review quantification approaches that account for GHGs emissions reductions or removals in projects.
- Prepare clear and compelling reports, presentations of analyses, and recommendations for clients.
- Contribute to the preparation of proposals to support business development.
- Contribute to the management of relationships with clients throughout the delivery process.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30%
- Communicates (oral and written) effectively with customers, vendors, colleagues, and management about services, contact information, system availability, and information. (EF)
- Acts as liaison between the customer and the technical team facilitating requirements gathering sessions, set expectations and coordinate team members utilizing teamwork and collaborative skills. (EF)
- Engages customers and elicits requirements using various methods in design and development in conjunction with developers to document business case/scope/plan, business/functional requirements; including specifications for package solutions, and/or software development. (EF)
- Partners with assigned Project Manager to support all phases of project implementation. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Facilitates gathering and documenting requirements, business rules and other related documentation. (EF)
- Decomposes business and user requirements into complete, concise and consistent functional requirements suitable for use by the developer. (EF)
- Develops clear messaging to customers and management on plans for issue resolution, status updates and their effect on the department to customers. (EF)
- Coordinates discovery, planning and follow up sessions with key customers. (EF)
- Participates in resolving system outages, disaster management and change control. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Ensures the quality and integrity of data collected for decision making and works with the other areas of the organization to ensure consistency as applicable. Ensures information is consistent, accurate, relevant and timely. (EF)
- Performs required testing and quality assurance to ensure solutions delivered are defect free and of high quality. (EF)
- Participates in setting, monitoring, and meeting SLAs with customers. Develops detailed system test plans, execute system test cases and provide issue tracking and consolidation. Manage a coordinated User Acceptance Test (UAT) effort. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Utilizes department resources and supplies effectively and practices good time management. Helps minimize excess cost(s) by assisting and recommending solutions in achieving organizational objectives. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Proposes solutions to facilitate constructive discussion within the team to arrive at the most optimal solution. Uses internal and external resources to stay up to date with new technologies and trends. (EF)
- Proactively manages own professional development. Completes Individual Development Plan (IDP). (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related discipline
- Three years experience supporting IT projects in an IT analyst role or similar function
- Experience performing requirement gathering and documentation
- Healthcare experience preferred
- Experience in clinical, business or financial operations preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Ability to talk with individuals and groups about their needs and ask the right questions to surface essential requirements information.
- Ability to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding, distinguish presented user requests from the underlying true needs, and distinguish solution ideas from requirements.
- Ability to engage customers and technicians for the purpose of extracting discussion, ideas, opinions, and general contribution in individual settings, meetings, or to lead requirements elicitation workshops.
- Ability to validate data obtained via other techniques and expose new areas for elicitation.
- The ability to communicate information effectively to customers,vendors, managers, and technical staff.
- Ability to work with a vast array of information gathered during elicitation and analysis and to cope with rapidly changing information and priorities.
- Ability to help negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among customers, technologists, and management. Strong teamwork skills at all levels are critical.
- Ability to evaluate, prioritize and problem solve a variety and multiplicity of tasks and ensure their timely and accurate completion. Also, the ability to work independently and take initiative in areas of responsibility.
- General knowledge of health care operations desired. Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to a large academic, research, and/or healthcare facility a plus.
- Knowledge of project management tools preferred