SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a Summer Intern - Urban Design for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
The Summer Internship Program is open to applicants who are planning careers in architecture, structural & sustainable engineering, urban planning, graphic design, or interior design. Spend the summer learning from experts in all of our design disciplines, building your design and visualization skills and contributing to world class design projects. Summer Interns participate in a wide range of in-person and virtual learning opportunities and events.
SOM's Summer Internship Program will run from June 3, 2024 until August 9, 2024.
Desired skills and expertise
- Current student in an accredited bachelor’s program or master’s degree program in urban design, architecture or related field of study and returning to school in the Fall of 2024.
- Some experience in the urban design or architectural profession or associated arts.
- Demonstrated general interest and limited knowledge of urban design and planning, urban history and theory, planning and environmental law, and private and public development.
- Strong design capabilities and basic delineation skills as demonstrated in portfolio or work samples.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Rhino and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to work as part of a team and communicate effectively.
- You must be returning to school in Fall 2024 to be considered for a summer internship at SOM.
- Applicants who do not submit work samples will not be reviewed.
- Application deadline is January 12, 2024.
Compensation for this role is based upon experience, qualifications, location, and education and typically ranges from $23/per hour to $25/per hour.
Our creative, interdisciplinary teams work like small, dynamic studios, with all the resources and diversity of a global firm.
We believe an inclusive environment improves our teams, our firm, and our communities and are passionate about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Our DEI Action Plan was created to bring meaningful change to our profession, starting with our own culture and practices.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy