Staff Software Engineer
At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives. We’re a purpose-driven company, and our beliefs are the foundation of how we conduct business every day. We’re guided by our core values of Inclusion, Innovation, Collaboration, and Wellness. Collectively, these values inspire us to work together as One Team with our customers at the center of everything we do, and to take care of ourselves, each other, and the communities in which we live and work. We challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. Join us as we enable the hopes, dreams, and ambitions of millions of people around the world.
Software engineers at PayPal develop innovative solutions and high-quality products that touch millions of people every day around the globe. Our engineers solve some of the most complex technical problems in the world of connected payments across all business units, including PayPal, Braintree, Venmo, Paydiant and others. We are looking for the highest levels of technical talent and programming skills, as well as a keen desire to deeply understand our products and services to push our technology forward with respect to functionality, performance, reliability, and scalability.
You’ll work alongside the best and the brightest engineering talent in the industry. We have opportunities in a wide range of areas including development, design, search, platform, test, quality, big data, front end and back end. As a core participant of your team, you’ll estimate engineering efforts, prioritize projects, plan implementations, and triage production issues. You need to be dynamic, collaborative, and curious as we build new experiences, improve existing products, and develop distributed systems powering the world’s largest e-commerce and payments websites at a scale only a few companies can match. You will work with both established and cutting edge technologies like Java, Spring, Spring Boot, Camel, J2EE, JaxB, JSON, Protobuf, RxJava, RxNetty, Hibernate, and Hystrix or Resilience4J to build highly resilient, low-latency, high throughput and with 4 9's availability services.
The responsibilities include:
- Design, develop, and test new capabilities to meet the business needs
- Collaborate with peers and seniors both within Payments team and across the organization and geo-locations
- Work with the product managers using agile methodologies to deliver high quality solutions on time
- Work with operations teams to ensure your applications and services are highly available and reliable
- Support your applications services as and when required on a 24x7 basis
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent, MS preferred
- 8+ year experience in Java programming
- Strong fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming using Java, C++ (or equivalent)
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Designed web applications and clearly understand concepts like Web Services, SOA, REST APIs
- Expert in Spring, Spring Boot, J2EE technologies, RxJava, JSON, RESTful APIs
- Expert in designing and building RESTful interfaces in a commercial setting
- Built SQL & NoSQL solutions and understand the pros and cons of relational and free form databases.
- Competent in design and implementation for reliability, availability, scalability and performance
- Well versed in software engineering tools and best practices
For more than 20 years, PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 400 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying, or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.