Sr. Software Engineer
Software development that makes a difference
At Volvo Cars, we are making bold digital visions come true. We aim to lead in the automotive world by creating a digital ecosystem built around making our customers' lives less complicated. Now we are looking for curious, creative people who want to change the world through innovative thinking.
What We Can Offer
Our human-centric focus is what makes us different from all other car companies, and it’s at the heart of everything we create. Volvo Cars is on an ambitious journey to redefine the customer experience in automotive through digital technology.
Our vision is simple – creating the freedom to move in a personal, sustainable and safe way – and the goals we’ve set up to support it are bold and ambitious. We’re building an organization full of creative, diverse and talented people working to build new, exciting digital products and services supporting those goals.
We have cross-functional product teams in Sunnyvale, Shanghai, Stockholm and Gothenburg who create digital consumer experiences spanning the Volvo Cars portfolio of brands. We’re looking for team members to join our organization who think about technology problems and opportunities in exciting and different ways – creative and enthusiastic thinkers who want to change the world with us here at Volvo.
This role is within our Consumer Digital SHOP (CDLS) team, which is using digital technology to reinvent the experience of becoming a Volvo customer. There’s no reason the experience of buying a car cannot be as enjoyable and exciting as actually having a new car. To make this a reality is our mission.
As a core member of our engineering team, you will be responsible for designing and developing new consumer applications that reach Volvo’s customers. You should have start-up experience where you had quickly developed prototypes and catalyzed product development in a fast-paced, fluid environment. You are experienced with agile development and a champion of software development best practices.
This position will report to the Manager of Engineering and is located out of Volvo’s Sunnyvale, California R&D Tech Center. The work model will be remote with future plans on being hybrid.
What You Can Bring
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be working closely with software architects and product managers.
- You’ll understand the requirements, write user stories, and define tasks.
- You’ll investigate alternative ways to solve software problems, develop prototypes, and run proof of concepts.
- You’ll be champion of software development best practices, with agile development methodologies.
- You’ll coordinate and drive designs, and features with other teams, and your teams.
- You’ll be providing guidance and training to junior engineers.
- You’ll be also responsible for designing software components and features, database model and write scripts to manage database.
- You’ll be developing backend service APIs using REST design guidelines with Java programming language and Spring Boot in micro-services, implement and write unit test for them.
- You’ll review code commits by team members and give comments and suggestion on improving software quality.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree with 7 years software developing experiences; OR Master’s/foreign equivalent degree with 3+ years software developing experiences; OR PhD degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Information or related fields
- 4 years of experience developing consumer-facing products
- 5 years of experience using Agile/Scrum methodologies with scrum management tools
- 5 years of Experience developing indexing solution, and NOSQL Databases
- 2 years of experience developing applications running on AWS
- 2 years of experience building, using Docker images for services deployments
Who are we?
Everything we do starts with people. Our purpose is to provide freedom to move, in a personal, sustainable and safe way. We are committed to simplifying our customers’ lives by offering better technology solutions that improve their impact on the world and bringing the most advanced mobility innovations to protect them, their loved ones and the people around them.
In the spirit of a human-centric environment, we strongly believe in the well-being of our employees as well as their families. There are generous health and wellness programs that begin day-one with the company as well as a wide variety of other benefit programs including a comprehensive 401(k), potential for retention & company bonuses, and an opportunity to be a brand ambassador through our car incentive programs! Furthermore, in an effort to build the workday around our employees, we also offer remote flexibility working options. . Lastly, to build on our commitment for equal parenting roles for all genders, we recently launched a new parental leave policy which offers up to 24 weeks of leave at 80% of base pay.
Most importantly, Volvo Cars’ continued success is the result of a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive working environment. The people of Volvo Cars are committed to making a difference in our world. Today, we are one of the most well-known and respected car brands, with over 40,000 employees across the globe. We believe in bringing out the best in each other and harnessing the true power of people. At Volvo Cars your career is designed around your talents and aspirations so you can reach your full potential. Join us on a journey of a lifetime as we create safety, autonomous driving and electrification technologies of tomorrow.