Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Get to know the role
- Job Title: Sr. Manager, Legal Counsel
- Job Summary: Provides legal advice and counsel to the organization in support of business activities and transactions. Oversees the activities and work-products of attorneys and support staff.
- FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
- People Manager: Yes
What you’ll do
- Serve as a Senior Manager, Senior Corporate Counsel on legal matters related to product safety on all Pokémon product lines and develop and update international and domestic product safety strategies and effective product safety programs for the company and subsidiaries.
- Manage and provide legal advice to the company and subsidiaries on all aspects of product safety issues and regulatory requirements globally.
- Develop policies, procedures, and training programs to support the company and subsidiaries in adhering to product safety and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Effectively establish global regulatory labeling and product safety testing programs, and other compliance guidelines and manuals from a regulatory perspective.
- Work on primary processes including vendor onboarding, safety analysis, design and labeling control, and recall action and establish best practices for the company and subsidiaries.
- Keep up-to-date on new legislation and regulations to ensure the company maintains the highest compliance standards. This includes working with the Production Team, our subsidiaries, and our business partners to ensure that legal interpretations are aligned.
- Develop and implement factory audit strategies and process and provide guidance on implementation.
What you’ll bring
- Membership in good standing with the Washington State Bar, or admission in a state with Washington State Bar reciprocity.
- Ten+ (10+) years of relevant legal professional experience, plus two (2) years of management experience or a demonstrated equivalent level of expertise.
- 5 years of demonstrated work experience in the area of product safety and product regulatory affairs (in-house or external). Prior in-house experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of regulatory requirements such as CPSIA/ASTM, Prop 65 (USA), Toy Directive (EU), and ISO.
- Experience with children’s entertainment (preferred).
- Exceptional drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), and interpersonal skill.
- Demonstrable experience innovating new processes to streamline operations and increase efficiency, transparency, and comprehension between client teams and legal.
- Experience working with multinational corporations and/or client and possessing a demonstrably strong ability to facilitate cross-cultural communications.
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- Base salary range: $170,000.00 - $254,000.00. This range is applicable for the labor market where the role is intended to be hired. For this role, new hires generally start between $170,000.00-$201,400.00. Final base salary is directly related to each candidates' qualifications and experience uniquely.
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- US Employees: 401k Employer Matching
- UK/IRE Employees: Pension Employer Contributions
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases