Sr. Manager of Sustainability Communications & Engagement
The purpose of the Sr Manager of Sustainability Communications and Engagement role is to help drive implementation of the sustainability transformation agenda in Pet Nutrition North America by developing a comprehensive communications plan to engage consumers, customers, and Associates. This role will also drive key programs and partnerships to accelerate our sustainability reputation and drive measurable impact.
What are we looking for?
- Strong prior knowledge of sustainability regulation and external landscape is highly desirable.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including distilling complex information into simple, concise and audience-appropriate messaging.
- Comfort engaging independently with senior internal and external stakeholders, customer focus, and strong experience in building and maintaining successful partnerships
- Experience in navigating a complex organization and managing multiple stakeholders with diverse priorities
- Project management skills and experience in managing multiple priorities simultaneously and maintaining momentum in long-term projects
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or associated profession is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- 8-10 years relevant professional experience in brand communications with proven success leading, developing and managing communications programs.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Develop and communicate external-facing messaging about sustainability initiatives, packaging developments, and commitments synced with stakeholders across One Mars.
- Develop and launch external comms plan to create a steady drumbeat of news and thought leadership around Sustainability commitments and initiatives including- announcements, visible leadership, and social media content for all partnerships and significant milestones across the business.
- Partner with key retailer partners to develop a strategy to create compelling sustainability customer-facing communications, including packaging and climate commitments, progress against Sustainable in a Generation (SiG), local initiatives etc.
- Support Mars customer teams on co-creation, execution and engagement of Sustainability and Purpose-related customer partnerships and activations.
- Work closely with Public Affairs, Global Pet Nutrition, Global Petcare, and across Mars segments to determine objectives and strategies for packaging and climate advocacy and support US stakeholder engagement.
- Collaborate with CA brand leads and marketing brand teams to embed sustainability messaging, activations, and thought leadership into key brand strategies
- Demonstrate our credibility and commitment to Mars Inc sustainability ambitions by localizing the Mars Sustainable in a Generation plan, working with cross-functional teams to initiate and maintain partnerships that are relevant in the US market
- Work cross functionally to identify, initiate, and lead local projects that complement and accelerate regional sustainability workstreams
- Demonstrate leadership in areas of climate and nature through credible local initiatives and non-profit partnerships, working closely with other External Affairs leads
- Support broader External Affairs team in executing relevant partnership activities to promote sustainability like Better Cities for Pets.
- Represent the Pet Nutrition NA business in sustainability forums with key partners.
- Support Strategic Business Communications leads on developing a content strategy to raise visibility of Mars Pet Nutrition NA sustainability and Purpose initiatives that drives Associate engagement.
- Partner with internal cross-functional stakeholders to drive Associate education and ambassadorship around Sustainability through tactics like lunch and learns, debriefs, internal comms, training, Green Team engagement, and campaigns
- Support Strategic Business Communications leads by creating tools/toolkits, resources, and information needed to motivate and empower Associates
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 diverse and talented Associates, all guided by the Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.