23andMe is looking for a seasoned, creative Senior Manager of Media Relations that loves storytelling and effectively executing communications strategies and campaigns. In this role, you will lead our media relations’ efforts to drive greater awareness of 23andMe’s consumer health products and large-scale research based on genetic data. This person has strong media relationships and experience delivering quality, measurable results.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate is someone who is obsessed with health and has a passion for helping people lead longer, healthier lives. You are excited to disrupt the healthcare industry and want to inspire others through the power of preventive health. Like us, you are mission-driven and have a strong desire to provide individuals with more direct and affordable access to their health information. You’re empathetic - you want to contribute to something meaningful that truly impacts peoples’ lives, and you are not afraid to try to break down barriers to make it happen.
This person will take initiative and juggle multiple projects at once. You are willing to take risks and think creatively in order to reach new audiences in promoting the company’s consumer health products and scientific work. We’re looking for a strong storyteller who can translate complex concepts in an impactful way for broad audiences. You enjoy collaborating with others, and working effectively across various internal teams and external organizations. You are a clear and articulate communicator and a great listener and observer. We’re seeking a self-starter, and reliable team player with strong initiative and the ability to thrive in a high-intensity, rapidly changing environment.
What You’ll Do
- Proactively plan, implement and execute the media relations strategies and campaigns for our consumer health and research priorities
- Manage projects and campaigns from start to finish – i.e. create high level strategy to detailed-driven execution
- Build and maintain relationships with the media and internal stakeholders in order to deliver results with high standards under tight deadlines
- Prepare communications materials including messaging, media assets, pitches, briefing documents for executive speaking engagements and interviews
- Identify opportunities to drive thought leadership within the consumer health space, working closely with key leaders at the company
- Lead and manage PR agencies, including strategies, KPIs, and budgets
What You’ll Bring
- 10+ years of relevant experience in communications, ideally within the tech, health and/or scientific industries
- Exceptional storytelling experience, including clear and concise writing and editing skills
- Creativity to come up with big, out of the box ideas and PR tactics that will help drive awareness and reach new audiences in unexpected ways
- Ability to strategize and influence in order to build strong partnerships at all levels and across many teams
- Passion for working in a highly collaborative team environment
- Experience measuring impact of communications programs, and leveraging data to drive overall plans
- Bachelor’s Degree or related experience required
- Ability to work from 23andMe's office in Sunnyvale, CA three days per week.
23andMe, headquartered in South San Francisco, CA, 23andMe is a genetics-led consumer healthcare and therapeutics company empowering a healthier future. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports.
The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
San Francisco Bay Area Base Pay Range