Sr Manager, Environment, Health & Safety
This position provides support, strategic direction, policy guidance, and advice in the areas of safety, health, the environment, and sustainability for multiple Emergent locations. This leadership role has primary responsibility for development and implementation of Emergent enterprise EHS programs that manage, mitigate, and where possible, eliminate EHS risks to Emergent BioSolutions’ employees, contractors, facilities, and communities in which the company operates.
Additionally, this position assists in the development of enterprise EHS strategies and initiatives.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Business - 40%
Assists in the development of enterprise strategic EHS plans in collaboration with business and functional needs.
Assists in ensuring that enterprise objectives are in alignment with current best practices for occupational health and environmental health and safety.
At assigned locations:
- Leads creation of robust EHS plans to ensure conformance with regulatory and company requirements.
- Leads goal setting, monitors performance and reports on progress.
- Partners with Finance and location EHS and leadership teams to develop and monitor their annual EHS budget.
Technical - 30%
Assists in the development, planning and implementation of environmental, health, safety, and sustainability programs across the enterprise.
At assigned locations:
- Serves as the primary technical EHS resource for EHS and operations’ leadership teams.
- Ensures implementation of enterprise EHS policies, procedures, and programs.
- Ensures training and inspection programs are in compliance with applicable occupational EHS standards.
- Monitors and ensures optimal performance of Environmental Health and Safety programs.
- Conducts on-going data and risk analyses to trend and identify known and/or emerging EHS risks and develop mitigation strategies.
- Drives execution of tactical and strategic initiatives to eliminate hazards and reduce or eliminate risks.
- Ensures continuous assessments of EHS hazards and risks and provides assistance where specific technical expertise is required to meet applicable regulations, enterprise policies, procedures, and programs.
- Actively participates in the investigation of significant EHS incidents and ensures timely and complete implementation of corrective actions.
- Oversees the implementation of actions and activities to minimize and manage workers’ compensation claims and associated costs. Provides hands-on assistance as necessary.
- Develops and delivers specific business focused EHS training.
- Develops and drives implementation of sustainability initiatives to achieve enterprise sustainability goals.
Culture Management & Employee Development - 30%
At assigned locations:
- Leads and develops EHS professionals.
- Establishes and maintains routine management standards to assure that direct reports are utilizing common tools to track resources, time coding, and performance.
- Effectively builds and maintains collaborative relations with peers, direct reports, and internal customers.
- Coaches at all levels of the organization on the disciplines of an EHS culture.
- Acts as an effective change agent; promotes excellence and challenges traditional thinking, boundaries, and modes of operation.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 7+ years of progressive experience in EHS in manufacturing or production operations.
- Experience in managing multiple, geographically dispersed locations and teams.
- Strong understanding and experience in EHS Management Systems and their successful implementation.
- Must have strong substantive knowledge of applicable EHS regulations.
- Strong commitment to business ethics and integrity.
- Strong technical ability to work, collaborate and negotiate with government officials, consultants, and other third-party stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (prefer Environmental Sciences, Occupational Health, Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, or Industrial Hygiene); will give consideration to an equivalent level of education, experience, and skills.
- Demonstrated ability in successfully building teams, leading teams, and developing talent.
- Develops and maintains good relationships, gains the confidence of others, and works effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix environment.
- Strategic thinker with creative and excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Resilient self-starter, who can act independently and learn quickly within a rapidly evolving environment.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to critically interpret and use data to manage risk.
- Strong understanding of Return-to-Work programs and policies.
Successful applicants for this position that are required to be onsite at any Emergent site at any time, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to legally required exemptions.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.