Sr. Firmware Engineer
Phyn is the leading intelligent water brand, bringing solutions to market that help people protect their homes, conserve water and save money. Built upon nearly a decade of research and patented technological innovation, Phyn is poised to change the way consumers interact with water and help solve the major challenges threatening the world’s supply of clean, healthy water. Phyn has been widely recognized for its innovation, including honors from the Red Dot Awards, SXSW Innovation Awards, Core 77 Design Awards, IoT World Awards, CES Innovation Awards and GreenBuilder’s Sustainability Awards among others.
The successful candidate for this position will help architect, design, develop, and maintain embedded hardware and firmware-based systems for use in the latest in consumer and industrial electronic products, including cutting edge technologies that employ advanced signal processing techniques and cloud-based machine learning techniques to help customers conserve energy.
- Design and develop organized, easy to read and modify software source code for embedded systems.
- Debug software/firmware using emulators, analyzers, simulators, and similar tools.
- Develop applications using industry standard technologies such as object-oriented design, open source and portable development.
- Design and develop communication protocols, standard and proprietary for device communications via wireless and wired technologies.
- Create object libraries, applications, daemons and drivers deployed inside embedded hardware devices.
- Document software designs and code with specifications and source comments and create end user documentation.
- Program in high level and low-level languages as appropriate including C/C++ and assembler. Other language experience in Java, Perl, or similar languages is desired.
- Develop applications and drivers for operating systems such as Linux and embedded systems RTOS’s and develop board support packages for new hardware platforms.
- Apply fundamental technology principles to multiple tasks
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of cross functional and related technical areas such as Software Quality techniques, software configuration management and release management.
- Research upcoming projects and present findings to corporate leadership and integrate results into team technical strategy.
- Prepare, present and lead peer to peer and cross functional design review meetings
- Work closely with Electrical Engineers Quality Engineers and Technicians creating custom solutions and bringing up new and innovative hardware designs.
- Work closely with outsource engineering and other resources and represent Belkin interests on-site as part of an engineering team.
- Fulfill responsibilities under ISO 9001 and 14001; understand and fully support IS0 system.
- Fulfill responsibilities under OHSAS 18001, understand and fully support OHSAS 18001 system.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Requires a Bachelor of Science degree or may have a Master of Science degree, in a technical discipline from a four-year college or university, or equivalent combination of education & experience.
- 5 or more years of directly related experience in embedded systems design and development with a demonstrated record of leadership designing and shipping microcontroller-based firmware.
- Strong linux development experience using Yocto build system.
- Strong user-space application development skillon Linux and kernel space.
- Experience with OpenWRT build system is a plus but not required.
- Experience with developing device drivers.
- Linux debugging skills using tools like GDB.
- Experience with C and Makefiles are required, C++ is a plus but not required.
- C/C++ Programming experience with developing multi-threaded applications.
- Experience working with open-source packages.
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with Python language is a plus.
- ML/DSP experience is a plus.
What you’re getting into
We’ve got big collaborative spaces for your big ideas, so bring an open mind and leave your suit in the closet. We all are committed to creating unique and rewarding consumer experiences. Everyone is interested in succeeding – for the team, for themselves and for the business. Cross-functionally and across the company, everyone has common goals and aspires to be their best.
You will learn something new or at least look at things differently every day. There are so many smart and creative people around that you’ll be motivated to pursue the ideal.
Team spirit is infectious. Belkin is an extremely open workplace, where communication is essential. Not every idea will be accepted, but you’ll be asked for your point of view. Innovation thrives on multiple and varied levels. At Belkin we challenge conventional wisdom and refuse to accept that something cannot be done.
We are committed to diversity. Belkin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
All candidates applying for a job in the EMEA region, please review the Applicant Privacy notice HERE
San Francisco, California
Range for this position:
$110,000 - $130,000
Factors such as geographic location, academic credentials, relevant experience, and specific knowledge, skills and abilities will influence the actual salary offered. In addition to a competitive market-based salary, compensation also includes a performance-based bonus, and in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Further details can be found here.