Sr Environmental Project Manager
This role is potentially a hybrid – a mix of office and remote. The selected candidate will be integrated into our team working from Eagan, MN.
At GES, our employees are not viewed as assets - they are co-workers and teammates. We bring together talented professionals with diverse backgrounds, expertise, and ideas to help solve our clients’ toughest environmental and infrastructure challenges. Our success is founded on a culture of collaboration, where individuality and skills are embraced. With a regional structure and diverse portfolio of projects and clients, GES provides its scientists the ability to work on projects best suited to their talents and interests.
After more than 30 years in business, we still have that small firm feel and family atmosphere. What’s different today is our growing reach, resources, and impact. Our teams are behind some of the most complex environmental programs in the country, working alongside the most recognizable companies in the world. Our evolution is rooted in the strong personal relationships we build with our clients, our employees, and the communities in which we live and work.
You can expect to work in a friendly environment where you’ll face challenging and rewarding work. Your contributions will make a difference, and your impact will be rewarded. You will have the opportunity to carve out your own career path, while working shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the most talented and dedicated professionals in the industry.
We are seeking an environmental professional with a minimum of 10 years experience in planning, executing, supervising and documenting field aspects of highly complex environmental remediation and construction activities to include, but not limited to, all aspects of contaminated soil and groundwater assessment and treatment, with mastery level knowledge of applicable Minnesota and Wisconsin regulatory programs.
This individual provides senior project level support activities, including work plan and proposal preparation, project scheduling and deadline tracking, budget evaluation and analysis and technical editing and report finalization.
This position is generally close to home with minimal travel.
- Oversees a portfolio of diverse environmental projects with varied regulatory drivers (Minnesota and Wisconsin)
- Acts as the primary author for site work plans, proposals, and reports for highly complex scopes of work, including emergency response activities, and remedial actions.
- Responsibilities may include preparing project status updates, and ensuring compliance with applicable regulations. Other duties may include evaluating budgets vs. plans, analyzing cost control efficiencies, reviewing and coding of direct project expenses, and reviewing pre-bills and invoices.
- Manages procurement of subcontractors and vendors for completion of project tasks, including subcontractor/vendor bid package development.
- Properly manages project waste materials, including classification, handling, and vendor coordination and applies expert knowledge of pertinent construction permitting.
- Adheres to client contract specifications in all field-related activities and informs project group of those specifications
- Position requires mentoring and developing both professional and technical staff in order to complete deliverables including resource schedules, reports, technical memorandums, and proposals; conducts performance reviews and project team meetings.
- Develop relationships with clients, subcontractors, and vendors and assists with LPS/HSSE stewardship activities. Provides team mentality, communicates and interacts well with other staff, subcontractors, clients, regulatory agents, or other personnel while in the field and office.
- Provides senior project oversight and expert technical input on complex projects.
- Periodically reviews field notes for clarity, consistency, and detail in accordance with GES SOP’s and communicate with the department manager to ensure timely turnaround of all field notes to the appropriate project and office staff.
- Interacts with other project support services (technical services, professional, engineering, administrative) and subcontractors to ensure all resources are in place for proper fieldwork execution.
- Prepares regulatory strategies for client advocacy and in anticipation of regulatory submittals and negotiations.
- Works collegially with and communicates effectively with program, sector and business development leads to ensure functional team client approach.
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in geology, environmental science, geology, hydrogeology or a related scientific major.
- 10+ years of related experience which should include small & large-scale investigation, reporting, remediation, and management of work/projects.
- Mastery knowledge of Minnesota and Wisconsin environmental regulations required.
- Licensure as a Professional Geologist or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) is preferred.
- Experience authoring detailed site work plans, reports and proposals for more complex scopes of work, including comprehensive site characterizations and remedial action plans; reports should contain multiple level and interrelated interpretations and conclusions as well as identify recommendations based on the conclusions.
- Prior managerial experience
- Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate that they have maintained account relationships for an extended period of time as a result of client satisfaction.
- Must possess excellent communication, teamwork, analytical, organizational, technical writing, and client service skills.
- Must complete OSHA HAZWOPER training, be able to wear required PPE, and be able to lift up to 40 lbs (basic environmental equipment, sample coolers, etc.)
- Must maintain a valid drivers’ license and acceptable driving record including GES’ Drivers Alert Program.
- Performs work year-round in all types of weather, and may require travel in pickup truck or other company vehicle.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Business development a plus
Our comprehensive benefits include: Hybrid workforce, medical, dental, vision, prescription card, 401k, FSA, LTD, STD, New Parent Leave, 529 CollegeBound Fund, Tuition Assistance, Bonus Plan, and more.
Groundwater & Environmental Services, Inc. (GES) believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. At GES, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law.