Mountain Hardwear is seeking a Senior Designer to provide leadership and creative direction to our Women's Outerwear category. This person will work closely with the Product Creation Team to design products on a worldwide basis, initiate new product concepts to meet the needs of our consumers, and manage the design team in addressing modifications on carryover products.
HOW YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Lead the design team with a focus on continuously providing innovative, best in class product design solutions.
- Provides best in class design packages which include sketches, illustrations of construction details, and multiple product views.
- Provides leadership to the design team through mentoring, coaching, and championing innovation in products and processes.
- Uses market research, industry experience, knowledge of the Mountain Hardwear consumer, and brand positioning, to provide a honed product feedback filter across the product division.
- Provides design/concept boards to communicate design and color direction.
- Presents category products and design/merchandising information during key meetings and line presentations.
- Participates in the prototype process for assigned category(s). Includes initiating sample requests by working closely with the Associate Designer and Product Developer(s), reviewing samples, and directing revisions as needed throughout the development cycle.
- Attends fit sessions and categorical team meetings as needed to facilitate process, revisions, and finalization of products.
- Works closely with cross-functional teams such as Materials Research to define new materials to research and source, Product Graphics to communicate seasonal product themes and identify product graphic needs per style, and Sourcing to create styles that hit target costs, and trims developer to propose trims, graphic applications, prints and/or patterns (if applicable), and label designs.
- Passionate about the outdoors, camping, hiking, and climbing.
- Knowledgeable about apparel design.
- Excited about creativity, collaboration, and exploration.
- Proactive with strong attention to detail and work ethic.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Fashion, Industrial Design or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ years garment design/development experience in the apparel industry with progressively responsible experience for category creativity, development, and design.
- Experience in Women's category preferred
- Strong ability to sketch and quickly communicate ideas in a visual format.
- Experience successfully leading a design team and/or providing the creative vision for a product category.
- Proficiency with computer design software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, etc.
- 3D CAD experience and proficiency is a plus.
- Soft goods design sensibility and knowledge of fabric and textiles.
Salary Range: $111,700 – $186,700 Annual
Pay decisions are determined by multiple factors, including what the market is paying, a candidate’s capabilities and skills, years of experience, and internal equity.
Work Model: This person will be expected to come onsite 2-3 days a week and on an as needed basis.
Our purpose is to build essential gear for climbers, mountaineers, and outdoor athletes. Mountain Hardwear expedition tents have summited more of the world’s highest peaks than any other brand. This level of technical precision inspires everything we do. Every stitch deliberate, every angle precise, every fabric tested, so that function and comfort are built with intent. Over and over. Mountain Hardwear, Inc., founded in 1993 and based in Richmond, CA, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Columbia Sportswear Company and distributes its products through specialty outdoor retailers in the United States and 34 countries worldwide.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
At Columbia Sportswear Company (CSC), we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. CSC believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.