Sr. Analyst, Financial Reporting
The Senior Analyst, Financial Reporting & Technical Accounting (FRTA) is a strategic partner that will support US GAAP, IFRS or local GAAP, and SEC compliance efforts for the Global Accounting Services (GAS) department. This role reports to the Director, FRTA, and is a key partner to the other Senior Analyst, FRTA. This role assists and periodically leads with components of the quarterly SEC reporting cycles, as well as technical accounting research, memorandum preparation, and implementation, for existing and new regulations and accounting standards. This role includes involvement in ad-hoc responsibilities supporting FRTA process optimization and automation, as well as special projects, as needed. This role is a key collaborator with cross-functional partners, including the investor relations, FP&A, Accounting, Tax, and Legal teams, as well as auditors.
We celebrate diversity--of your background, your experiences and your unique identity. We are committed to ensuring an inclusive and equitable workplace where all of our employees can Come as They Are. We believe that when we bring our different perspectives to work, we are truly Better Together.
The primary functions of this role, include but are not limited to:
50% Financial Reporting
- Support preparation and administration of company Forms 10-Q and 10-K in accordance with US GAAP and SEC regulations, including preparing financial statements and footnotes, MD&A, trends and risk factors, business updates, income tax disclosures, as well as compliance with new accounting standards, preparation of disclosure checklists, XBRL tagging review within Workiva, exhibit preparation, and other variable related tasks;
- Support certain preparation steps for the Annual Proxy on Form DEF-14A as well as the quarterly earnings release on Form 8-K, including press release and related script tie outs, as well as MD&A results messaging alignment with Forms 10-K and 10-Q;
- Lead preparation of quarterly balance sheet, income statement, statement of stockholders’ equity, and cash flow statement;
- Co-coordinator for cross-functional department work papers to support information in SEC filings, including drafting new disclosures for significant transactions, support schedule input and reasonableness review, financial statement tie outs, and coordinating with auditors on financial reporting workpapers;
- Investigates unusual transactions and/or business results fluctuations and determines appropriate accounting treatment through cross-functional department collaboration for ingestion into SEC filings;
- Support addressing and drafting new or revised disclosures for any new regulations or accounting guidance, as well as any SEC comment letter responses;
- Perform peer reviews of Forms 10-Q and 10-K and compares to the company SEC filings to ensure best practices are being applied, including annual peer SEC comment letter trend reviews; and,
- Create and maintain annual financial reporting calendar to inform key collaborators of deadlines and deliverables.
25% Technical Accounting
- Track SEC, FASB, IFRS (or local GAAP), and other authoritative pronouncements in scope for the company and its subsidiaries on a quarterly basis, and support disseminating key takeaways to business partners, including assisting and at times leading the implementation of new regulations and accounting pronouncements;
- Support and at times lead preparation of standard quarterly technical accounting memos, including impairment reviews, segment reporting analysis, or other significant accounting areas such as leases, stock-based compensation, revenue recognition, hedges, contingencies, etc.;
- Perform technical accounting research and investigate balanced solutions for transactions, including significant contracts, and changes in business strategies, along with preparing related memos;
- Support the maintenance of the Global Accounting Policy manual, including drafting updates for new accounting guidance and new or better understanding of key business strategies; and,
- Track and assist in evaluating and documenting technical matters for global statutory reporting with regional GAS teams under local GAAP/IFRS, including supporting review of accounting framework differences for 20+ subsidiaries, providing technical research support, and preparing memos.
25% Additional Responsibilities
- Assist with the continual development and efficiency of financial reporting process, leveraging reporting tools and systems like Workiva and Hyperion, including coordinating and engaging with other departments as necessary for continuous process improvements;
- Own execution of key financial reporting internal controls and prepare related SOX documentation, including control checklists, certifications, and system and organizational controls (SOC);
- Support review of annual benefit plan statements with the HR department;
- Train and disseminate information to cross-functional departments on financial reporting and technical accounting developments, procedures, and Workiva functionality; and,
- May work on ad-hoc projects as it relates to GAS and other finance department needs.
Who You Are
- A precise, resourceful, and driven initiative-taker with a growth mindset.
- High levels of poise, coupled with the qualities of maturity, flexibility, and patience.
- Able to communicate, organize and multi-task effectively with competing priorities.
- Strong professional written and verbal communication skills, including for higher levels of management.
- Able to cultivate effective business and networking relationships to drive towards common goals.
- Able to partner on defining solutions and effectively communicate financial accounting concepts across functions.
- Demonstrated experience applying theories, methods, principles, and practices associated with GAAP, SEC, and SOX.
- Able to exercise moderate decision making and judgment, utilizing knowledge of department and company policies and procedures.
- Exercises a high degree of integrity and discretion with sensitive and confidential information.
We would love to hear from people with
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or equivalent level of education and corporate accounting experience
- Master's Degree preferred
- Active CPA License preferred
- Minimum 3-4 years of relevant experience in financial statement preparation, review, and analysis, and technical accounting compliance and research under US GAAP and SEC regulations
- Proficient in Microsoft Applications
- Experience in a complex global organization preferred
- Experience using Workiva or similar tools is a plus
- Experience with Oracle and Hyperion, or other business intelligence tools, such as Dodeca, is a plus
What We'll Give You –
- Health and Wellness - There is nothing basic about our comprehensive health and wellness programs and offerings. While at work and at play, we aim to support a healthy lifestyle by offering health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Time away from work - Sometimes we need time away to be with family, focus on our health or just simply recharge. Our flexible plans support our employees’ needs to get out, get healthy and come back stronger than ever.
- Financial planning and wellbeing - No matter what financial goals our employees have set, we want to help them get there. Our plans provide powerful ways to protect income, pay for expenses, and invest in the long-term future.
- Competitive pay and bonuses - We have created a variety of competitive compensation programs to foster career development, reward success and to show our employees just how much they are valued.
- Growth and development - Deckers Brands was built on the idea of pursuing passion. That is why we offer extensive opportunities and support for personal and professional development.
- Extras, discounts, and rewards - Being a valued member of the Deckers Brands team means more than just a paycheck. From generous discounts to community-based programs, we offer a variety of unique extras for every lifestyle.
$105,000 - $115,000
The salary range posted reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for this role in our Goleta, CA location. Individual pay will be determined by location and additional factors, including job related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Diversity and inclusion are key to our success. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and our employees are people with different strengths, experiences and backgrounds who share a passion for our brands. We welcome qualified applicants regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, medical condition and all of the other beautiful parts of your identity.