Specialist, External Communications
For nearly 50 years, Michaels has been the destination where Makers get inspired, learn, shop, and create. We strive to cultivate an inclusive shopping environment for all Makers and work environment for all Team Members, providing a place of belonging and empowering everyone to bring their creative dreams to life. At Michaels, every Team Member is encouraged to hone their craft with opportunities for personal and professional growth. From our Stores and Distribution Centers to Artistree and our Support Center, our best-in-class team is passionate about leaving the world a better, more creative place by contributing to every “make”.
Michaels is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are here for all Team Members and all Makers to create, innovate and be better together.
The Specialist – External Communications will support the Communications team in building a positive brand reputation and increased awareness for Michaels through proactive public relations programs and campaigns. This Team Member will play a key role in developing and executing corporate and consumer public relations strategies to support key business initiatives. This hands-on specialist position will ideate and implement seasonal, product, and trends-driven media strategies to elevate the Michaels brand in key digital, print, broadcast, and radio media. This role will also serve as a point of contact for our PR agency team to prepare and execute strategies while driving efficiencies with our broader Marketing Organization.
Public Relations Strategy and Program Management
- Support communication plan development for key initiatives.
- Collaborate with Communications Team to execute annual strategic plan
- Identify opportunities to elevate the Michaels brand in mainstream consumer press, leveraging influencers, product / promotional news and events, and internal trend experts.
- Support public relations planning and delivery from annual strategy to opportunistic initiatives and major events.
- Integrate public relations strategies into marketing initiatives focused on acquiring new customers and building awareness and reputation.
- Collaborate with the Organic Social & Influencers and Trend & Design team to identify emerging consumer trends that can drive results and execute those with agency support.
- Work with communications counterparts to ensure coordinated scheduling of key announcements and campaigns.
- Support partnerships and agreements with external agency resources to amplify results.
- Support relationship with PR agency as key point of contact.
- Manage daily and weekly news monitoring report; create weekly news email for key internal stakeholders.
- Drive creation of PR collateral, including press kits, press releases, media gifts, photography, and media video.
- Draft press release materials and pitches for ongoing placements.
- Respond to media requests, acting as a resource and representing the best interests of the company.
Managing Stakeholder Relationships
- Develop and maintains effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders across the organization.
- Support the brand by seeking opportunities with key external stakeholders, primarily media.
- Create talking points/messaging for various initiatives, interviews and speaking engagements.
Admin and Budget Management
- Manage PR and communications budget for external communications programs.
- Drive organization and stakeholder reporting for the Communications Team.
- Some asset management for media relations.
Other duties as assigned
- Leave room for serendipity and new, fun project or help with crucial business needs as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Public Relations, Communication, and Marketing focus preferred
Minimum Special Certifications or technical skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent PowerPoint skills
Minimum Type of experience the job requires
- 2-3 years of retail/agency public relations experience.
- Exceptional media relations skills with proven experience in positive results.
- Communication experience in large, multi-store retail or service organization.
- Possess the four P’s: professionalism, positivity, proactivity, and productivity in your role and as a member of the team.
- Demonstrated success in the development, alignment, and deployment of business and communications strategy.
- Proven experience in achieving results in a dynamic, small-team environment.
- Expertise in both traditional and emerging media and communications.
- Relationship management with media, external agencies and business partners.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- High motivation and results-driven mentality.
- Some travel is required.
Preferred Special Certifications or technical skills
- Experience with Cision, Notified, or other news monitoring platform
Preferred Type of experience the job requires
- Brand partnerships experience is a plus
- Editorial/journalism experience also nice to have
- Budget management experience a plus
Applicants in the U.S. must satisfy federal, state, and local legal requirements of the job.
CA, CO, CT, WA, RI and select New York cities only - To review pay ranges for the position you are applying for, please visit Michaels Pay Ranges - CA, CO, CT, WA, RI, and select New York cities only.
Michaels is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with this commitment, Michaels will assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if a reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the job, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Customer Care at 1-800-642-4235 (1800-MICHAEL).