Software Engineering Director
The Meta Backbone Engineering Team is part of the overall Meta Infrastructure organization and is responsible for Meta’s Backbone network. We cover our global backbone that connects all our ever-growing data centers, and our edge points-of-presence, to deliver all of Meta’s services to users.
Our engineering team is re-imagining the network, with interesting and evolving requirements for delivering AI infrastructure and AR/VR experiences to internal and external customers. You can be part of this change, you can help define the next phase of networking. We are moving aggressively to blur the lines between the network, server and software worlds, to adapt the best practices for scaling and system administration to networking. Engineers on the team have backgrounds in network engineering, systems engineering and software development. They work as a team to build network wide control systems, analytics and planning/design tools, as well as design and architect the next generation disaggregated backbone, from a network engineering perspective.
We are looking for a Director who will lead the Software organization that develops our controller systems, provisioning systems, and orchestration software to operate the network across all tiers (L0-L3) and domains (DC – DC, PoP –DC, etc.). Specific experience in developing network-wide software or distributed systems is required. Generally, we embrace entrepreneurs as well as those who come from more established organizations. Software Engineering Directors are clearly characterized by setting software vision for the domain, progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility. You have also kept your coding skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment.
Software Engineering Director Responsibilities
- Be a highly technical Director with deep experience in networking, systems, and software
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Help define and drive regular development of an aggressive technical roadmap to meet the needs of the team, and partner teams
- Operate in a rapidly evolving environment, adapting quickly to new information and re-prioritizing as needed
- Manage engineers and managers working to build, scale, deploy and support network systems software for our global network infrastructure
- Partner closely with Meta datacenter, backbone, and edge network engineering teams and other software infrastructure teams
- Be an effective people manager and build Organization with thoughtful design, with members in right roles, and fostering culture of impact, learning, trust and team success
- Help engineers and managers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles
- Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognize and promote excellent performance
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to source candidates, evangelize the innovation opportunities, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive large engineering efforts
- 8+ years experience managing a networking-related software engineering team
- Expertise in networking and distributed systems
- Experience in network-wide analytics/design tools, control systems (SDN) for large-scale networks, and/or orchestration automation
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management and managing engineers
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals
- Communications experience
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
$253.000/year to $327.000/year + bonus + equity + benefits