San Francisco, CA
Mountain View, CA
Airtable enables any team to create apps on top of shared data and power their most critical and unique workflows. Teams at more than 300,000 organizations, including 80% of the Fortune 100, rely on the Airtable Connected Apps Platform to connect their people and data and achieve their most important goals. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable ranks #6 on the Forbes Cloud 100 and has raised $1.36 billion to date.
The Storage team’s mission is to accelerate product development at Airtable by providing reliable, scalable, and easy-to-use storage abstractions. We’re responsible for all of the transactional storage systems that power the Airtable platform, as well as the related developer-facing abstractions, tooling, and processes. Our primary storage system is MySQL, with Redis for in-memory caching and DynamoDB for key-value workloads.
We’re looking for experienced database and distributed systems engineers who are excited about designing, building, and operating key storage infrastructure at the heart of Airtable’s connected apps platform. This is a pivotal time for the Storage team, since we’re revisiting many of our original design decisions while also introducing net new capabilities to meet emerging business requirements.
Potential projects include:
- Horizontally and vertically sharding our MySQL databases for scalability. We’re breaking up some of our monolithic databases, while also evaluating new distributed database technologies like TiDB and Vitess as long-term replacements for MySQL.
- Rearchitecting our storage infrastructure to run in multiple geographic regions. This will improve the Airtable experience for international users, support data residency requirements, and enable region-level failover for disaster recovery.
- Implementing a zero-downtime failover capability for MySQL, to improve both mean-time-to-recovery and our own operational capabilities. This may involve reworking our ProxySQL architecture, or using open-source tools like Orchestrator.
- Reworking our database transaction management abstractions to allow more granular control over transaction state.
- Developing stronger caching abstractions on top of Redis (write-through caching, consistent caching) to support new application workloads.
What you'll do
- Proactively identify and lead significant improvements to Airtable’s storage infrastructure, working across teams and product areas to maximize business and engineering impact.
- Work on systems-level problems in a complex design space where scalability, efficiency, reliability, and security really matter.
- Build clean, reusable, and maintainable abstractions that will be used by Airtable’s engineers for years to come.
- Take full ownership of our storage infrastructure, including responsibility for uptime, performance, maintenance, and observability of our production environment.
- Influence the vision, strategy, and culture of a rapidly growing team. Help hire and mentor new team members.
Who you are
- You have 3+ years of experience working with distributed OLTP databases such as MySQL, Percona Server, MariaDB, Postgres, Vitess, CockroachDB, TiDB, etc.
- You have experience owning production infrastructure at high-growth, high-scale companies.
Compensation awarded to successful candidates will vary based on their work location, relevant skills and experience. The base salary range for this role is $228,000 - $322,905 for work locations in San Francisco, Mountain View, Seattle, NYC and LA. Our total compensation package also includes the opportunity to receive benefits, restricted stock units, and may include incentive compensation.
Airtable is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and strive to create a workplace where everyone has an equal opportunity to thrive. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any characteristic protected by applicable federal and state laws, regulations and ordinances. Learn more about your EEO rights as an applicant.
If you have a medical condition, disability, or religious belief/practice which inhibits your ability to participate in any part of the application or interview process, please complete our Accommodations Request Form and let us know how we may assist you. Airtable is committed to participating in the interactive process and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants.
Please see our Privacy Notice for details regarding Airtable’s collection and use of personal information relating to the application and recruitment process by clicking here.